The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Tropical/Tropicana Rental Car
Posted by: malibu hal (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: May 29, 2007 03:15PM

Wife and I will be vacationing in St Martin in a few days. Just wanted to let all site visitors know about Tropical/Tropicana Rental Car. We have been traveling to the island for 15+ years and they have consistantly been available to help us with rental car requirements. Mickey Daniel provides excellet service and will come to your hotel and either fix or replace the car if you find something is wrong. You don' have to waste a vacation day in the sun just to return the car. Many times, knowing we are tired from the long trip,he has just given us the car keys and we do the paperwork later in the day at our resort. Great service, customer attitude and extremely reasonable prices. You can't go wrong with this rental car company.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tropical/Tropicana Rental Car
Posted by: tt (---.msn.com)
Date: May 29, 2007 04:59PM

i have gone to sxm since 1990 and always use alain at aaa car rentals. i found best prices and service with alain and myra.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: May 30, 2007 10:32AM

Thank you malibu for your information. Over 25 years I used a lot of rental companies and this is the kind of service most of the smaller guys offer and is pretty much normal island service as far as my experience goes as long as you stay away from the HertzAvisBudget folks. I use Leslie Bruce at Kenny S Rentals to get my car direct from the airport and think he's the man but I guess we all have our favorites.

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2007 12:45PM

Lesley is our favorite, also. But as you say...everyone has theirs.

Annie

Posted by: _bruce (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: June 01, 2007 03:14PM

+1 for Mickey; he's our go-to guy.

Posted by: Indy Guy (---.mcleodusa.net)
Date: June 18, 2007 06:19PM

I used Tropical one time two years ago to rent a van and it was a junker. The only worse experience was Paradise who rented me a wrecked and almost rebuisl Camry with the passenger side aor bag hole in the dash unrepaired. The ddriver's seat wobbled. I stopped down the road to check another vehicle and unfortunately cannot remember the rntal's name but theyr "negotiated" away mo contracto and put me in a new Hunday Sonata that was very impressive. Prior to that, my experience with Paradise had been good (12 years) but people change and so do service.
I am trying Thrifty this year because I have gotten excelolent vehicles stateside and don't care about saving 10 bucks a day to drive a rattle trap. i want a good reliable car.
I am traveling to S.M. on 6/23 and love the island, food and people-only the cruise stop peopledon't like the island.
Cheers!

Posted by: Jane Noonan (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 02:03PM

This is in reference to the travellers checks I did not sign. I did mail a letter to you stating that you had my permission to cash them at the bank. Please let me know if you have received that letter. I've been receiving phone calls from numbers I cannot return and was wondering if it was you. Please leave a message if it is or respond to this email. Thanks.

Regards,

Jane Noonan

Posted by: mikentara (---.152.54.143.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 02:47PM

Jane,
It might be better to call them directly.
I don't have the contact info, maybe someone else can help you.
Mail takes a long time to get there.

Posted by: Dane (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 10:41PM

Hopefully, the OP's experience indicates that Tropicana has improved. My past rental experiences were quite different from the reliability of the cars to not being met at the airport as scheduled, etc. I personally would not use Tropicana again.

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 09, 2009 06:15AM

I won't recommend a rental car outfit anymore.I used to recommend and rent from Hertz for 25+ yrs.But after being ripped off by Hertz a few yrs ago I learned a lesson.

Posted by: WWII (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2009 08:30PM

I have no complaints with Tropicana.

Posted by: _bruce (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: May 09, 2009 10:35PM

No complaints from here either, always been happy with the service. (And we did use Tropical since I last replied on this thread a few posts up and a couple years ago). I am not sure why the thread has been resurrected.

Posted by: tom2 (---.msn.com)
Date: May 10, 2009 01:12AM

alain arnell at triple a is my recommendation. have used him for 18 years after a bad experience with safari.

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 07:12AM

Bruce, I don't know either......Anyone remember the story in the DH about a guy from a rental outfit that slapped a renter/tourist in the face a few yrs ago.I wonder why they printed the article and didn't include the company name.The article was about a tourist requesting a one day refund.He paid for a weeks rental (special) and only used the car for 6 days.During the argument over a refund the tourists face made contact with the rental guys hand.We should be careful who we recommend to others.

Posted by: Frank Barbour. (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 17, 2009 03:04PM

We travel from the U.K. every September to stay average 3 weeks on the Island, since 2000. I have always hired a car from Mickey Daniels.at Tropical/Tropicana. To me he has given superb service. at very competitive rates. I would recommend him to any one.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |