- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
closing threads
Posted by: rita (---.msn.com)
Date: May 28, 2007 04:51PM

that is exactly why there has been one post in two days here. everything they dont like is deleted or closed. 3-4 years ago there were 15-20 posts daily. duh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: closing threads
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2007 04:57PM

Yes, I close threads when people start bickering and trade insults with each other. There is no place for that here. Here is where we exchange information and try to be helpful.

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 28, 2007 06:59PM

Barbara,

Thank you for closing the original "tipping" thread since the latter posters seemed more concerned about my blood pressure and housekeeping habits than the original question as it was asked.

Clearly, the OP was not getting the kind of information he/she deserved about the hotel/timeshare tipping situation so I offer my sincere apoligies to the forum and to the original poster for my part in allowing this nonsense to continue and moreso for the nonsense of those who would deliberately disrupt only for the sake of being disruptive. This isn't a chitty chatty board and thank heavens the nonsense of a few years ago is gone, although there are apparently those who would like to see it return to that state. I'm not one of them.

Personally, I have no problem with the board being monitored and think you moderators have a crummy job to do and yet, you manage to do it very well, even though all you get out of it, for the most part, is flak unlimited.

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: edgar (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 28, 2007 09:19PM

Yes sir.......a post now and then, little or no information is exchanged. Everyone left this board because the moderators kept deleting everything. Now, if you check it once every 4-6 weeks, you might find one interesting post.

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2007 09:11AM

Pat, I agree with what you had to say. I also think that the people that like to start a 'disturbance' are the ones that complain when a thread is closed or a post is deleted. This is supposed to be an informative board, not a people bashing one, insulting one. Bravo to the moderators!

Annie

Posted by: GaKaye (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2007 09:52AM

Pat, I sent you a PM.

Posted by: Gov (---.mercermc.com)
Date: May 29, 2007 11:00AM

Edgar,

It's good to see you back posting on the board. I look forward to you sharing your wealth of knowledge about the island. You seem to have a handle on everything from jewelry stores to adult toy stores and from the high end restaurants to the roadside BBQ smokers. I look forward to your continued sharing of knowledge.

Posted by: ralphie (---.msn.com)
Date: May 29, 2007 02:04PM

i agree with edgar. there are very few posts anymore.i wonder why

Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 03:30AM

It isn't a black n' white situation as some may have us believe.

The truth is, the moderators way "over do it". There are some who have lunch with the moderators when they're on the island and they don't see it that way.

To choose a thread that's an obvious example of disruption for an example of why there are frozen and deleted threads is misrepresentative of the situation as a whole.

There have been a multitude of threads frozen or deleted which had no reasonable indication that they should be frozen or deleted. Comments that don't reflect the moderators' personal viewpoint have been cut off on a routine basis and we all know it.

For example, if someone dosen't like the food at BBB what's wrong with expressing that opinion?

Why was the thread asking about Neil Rooney frozen? "RickandGrace" asked. Are they trolls? Not really. Was there "name calling" on that thread? no.

Is aking about the BBB and Spinnker and the owner relevant to St. Martin and a vaild topic. yes.

What was it that Gert said we'll have: "light moderation". Well, the board doesn't even have moderate moderation.

Ed

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2007 07:56AM by Ed (nine510).

Date: July 09, 2007 08:10AM

Ed, I am sure that if the topic on Neil had stayed with just that and not gone on about brothels it would still be open. And to be honest with you I really don't think it is anyones business just what Neil's plans are. Do you or anyone else tell the world everything they are planning on doing? From the sound of some posts not only here but on another board, so many people think that Neil is obligated it tell them everything, that it is their due to know. Bull!

Annie

Date: July 09, 2007 09:52AM

annie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ed, I am sure that if the topic on Neil had stayed
> with just that and not gone on about brothels it
> would still be open.
>
> Annie

No, I'm sure you're wrong; it was just an exuse, if that was the reason for the thread being frozen. (I didn't see a reason given)

There are brothels on the island and there was nothing wrong with the comment. In fact, it was delivered as a humorous comment. Plus, if nude beaches are on topic, and "bush guys" on Cupecoy, so is the mere mention of a brothel.

The point of course is that, anything the moderators personally don't want discussed,they'll "find" a way to get rid of it.
That's what this thread's about.

Ed

Date: July 09, 2007 01:57PM

Ed,

Perhaps there should be a reason stated to close threads but it's not our call.

I know there are brothels on the island but I did not perceive that post as to be humorous at all. I know that if someone said that I was going to open a brothel I would be exceeding upset!

Anyhow...lets just agree to disagree.

Annie

Date: July 09, 2007 03:30PM

Well, it's supposed to be a bulletin board. There was no good reason to freeze the thread. There were a multitude of threads about the former owner of the Sunset Beach Bar and no one seemed to have a problem with that. But then, you didn't like him.

Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2007 03:34PM by Ed (nine510).

Date: July 09, 2007 05:05PM

Ed, I didn't know the owner of the SSBB. I've read that he is/was a trouble maker but I have no first hand knowledge of that. I was only there once about 10 or 12 years ago.

Annie

Date: July 10, 2007 09:37AM

And, you weren't making comments about how that guy's business is no one elses business, either.

Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2007 09:41AM by Ed (nine510).

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |