The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tipping Hotel/Timeshare Maids
Posted by: GaKaye (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2007 07:01PM

I've seen several posts here and on TTOL regarding tipping the maids at the hotels and/or timeshares. I have never tipped a maid anywhere except on a cruise ship, and I've traveled a fair amount. Is this a custom unique to St. Martin, or to timeshares? I've always felt that I have paid for the maid service in the cost for the room.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tipping Hotel/Timeshare Maids
Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: May 25, 2007 08:43AM

GaKaye, I usuallyleave a little something for the maid either at a timeshare or a hotel and its usually based on what they do for me beyond the normal scope of there work. Sometimes I think the people who post on these sites are obsessed with the idea of over tipping and go way overboard but tipping is and should be a personal thing between you and the employee. If they perform a service for you above and beyond doing what there paid for then a tip is merited. If you never see them and your not a total slob then your probly right and a tip is not required but if its your own timewshare and your gonna go back every year I dont want them to remember me as the cheapskate who never tips cause its possible future service will be based on that.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2007 11:21AM

Thanks Anon, for the response. Do you leave a note with the tip, because my experience has been that any money left out will be right where I left it when I return to my room. Or do you just tip on the last day, so they know that's what it is? I personally don't know that I'm going to start this, because I continue to believe I'm paying for their services anyway. Last time, we did ask our maid if she wanted some of the foods we had left (unopened), and gave her those. We are definitely not slobs, and the maid really has very little to do in our suite.

Posted by: WWII (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2007 12:03PM

I just keep dumping change into an ashtray everyday and add a few dolars more when I leave. I assume the maids know to take it after my last day.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 25, 2007 05:37PM

Add a few dollars to your change? My dad probably did the same during WWII, circa 1945...most ghenerous of you...TIC. Cheers, spike

Posted by: Louise (---.ne.res.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2007 06:33AM

I believe that tipping is the choice of the person, but I have always tipped the maids whereever I go except when I feel the service is really poor. I have always had good service in the timeshares regarding the maid service, some things are beyond their control, like lack of towels, etc. Depending on how many people are staying in the unit makes my decision for tipping. Usually it is at least $20 for two for a week, $30 for three..etc. Hope this helps. I always find the maids to be helpful in any way that they can be and I show my appreciation for those services rendered. I don't think that they make much otherwise.

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 26, 2007 12:51PM

Louise,

I pretty much follow the same guidelines. Generally, we tip the lady who does the midweek clean-ups personally on those days and then leave $15. or $20. per week on Saturday for the ladies who do the daily towel changes and trash removal. I've always assumed that is adequate because the same maids greet us warmly year after year and are always eager to inquire as to whether we need anything more from them. When we are in our two bedroom with additional guests we leave more but for just the two of us this seems to be okay.

We also offer the maids the items in our kitchen before we vacate and they're usually more than happy to have us leave them and dispose or keep them as they see fit. A few years ago we learned some of the maids have a sideline business and will do guests' personal laundry at a very reasonable cost, not to mention the convenience, so we take advantage of this and take care of them well for the additional services.

As another poster mentioned, we are just two these days and our personal lifestyle tends towards being very neat and since we make our own beds each day except on the mid-week restocking day I think this is adequate. But please, if I'm living in the dark ages, someone let me know.....

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Posted by: touch (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 26, 2007 06:49PM

I will usually leave the spare change for the week, usually around 3-4 bucks

Posted by: pasnyder (---.110.182.226.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: May 27, 2007 06:20AM

We leave $20 and whatever coins we've accumulated during the week.

Pauline

Posted by: tt (---.msn.com)
Date: May 27, 2007 09:47AM

Pat..why ta hell would anyone make their own bed on vacation. I have never heard of such a thing and i didnt just fall off the turnip truck.

Date: May 27, 2007 10:09AM

tt,

Pat..why ta hell would anyone make their own bed on vacation. I have never heard of such a thing and i didnt just fall off the turnip truck.

Uh, because making a bed isn't a big deal? Because we make our bed every morning as soon as we get out of it at home. Because we don't like to look at a mess? Uh, because the maids only change the linens once a week, midweek, after check in and I don't like looking at an unmade bed? Because early training dictates it be done!! Take your pick of any of the above. Or not!

Don't panic or stroke out over it - I'm not suggesting for a minute that you or anyone else should do the same. You're on vacation and if you enjoy walking into your bedroom and looking at an unmade bed, sobeit. I would never criticize your personal choices. But I personally don't enjoy living in a messy environment!

And here's another shocker. I also enjoy cooking when I'm in St. Maarten. I usually manage to actually cook 3-4 dinners in our condo over our two weeks on the island and that's not a big deal either. We enjoy an occasional night in and dinner high on our balcony overlooking St. Maarten. Many would choke over that prospect, too but to me, it's all part of the vacation and while maybe not for others, it works for us.

And here's one last shocker - my other most favored vacation experience beyond traveling is tent camping and I roll up my sleeping bag when I climb out of it, too.

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: Clark (---.arc12.atlnga1.dasdial.com)
Date: May 27, 2007 02:55PM

At La Terrasse where we stayed from May 11-23--- as a renter-- we had daily maid service-- in the resort hand book-- it stated that maid service for time share owners was mid week--and daily was at an additional charge--I'm not sure how many times they changed the bedding--- but they made the bed-- washed any dishes that were in the sink--swept and washed the floor--took out the trash (Read: Corona and Absolute bottles)-I left a $5 a day tip when we vacated---I probably over tip---but I'd rather spend a few extra bucks than stiff some working stiff-- maids or cabbies---it's the same with bellmen----sure they are expected to take your bags to your room--- that's what they get paid for---but in any hotel I've ever stayed at I always tip for that service---do I leave a maid tip if I'm on a weekend getaway??
no---but for stays longer than a weekend- with daily service-- I always do--I am never on such a tight budget that I turn into Mr. Scrooge---I'd rather have a happy happy than a crank--chbpod

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 27, 2007 11:38PM

Pat. I "see" steam coming out of your ears !!! LOL. Chill...FYI...we, too, make our bed/s daily. We also don't leave a mess of dirty dishes in the sink or on the counter tops. We also pick up our towels off the floor. We also "cook in" often grilling fresh fish from the M-got market. Our 7th floor balcony may have the best ambiance and vistas on the island...a wonderfully quiet and romantic place to enjoy dinner together.
My concern is what else people might misuse/abuse..."because they're on vacation". Pat, I believe you and yours treat your condo as we do...as if it were your home (away from home). It's possible we'd have less maintenance/upkeep concerns if all guests cared for The Towers like we do. Stepping down off my soap box...ahhhh, I feel better with all that off my chest. I need a shot of Ma-doo-doo. Cheers, spike

Date: May 28, 2007 09:00AM

Spike,

Pretty close!!

Chill pill taken!!

Happy Memorial Day, one and all.

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: tt (---.msn.com)
Date: May 28, 2007 09:42AM

pat.....it seems you are panicing or trying to have a stroke. your blood pressure must be 192 over 150 when you wrote the note. i simply said why would anyone make their bed in a hotel? yes you better chill out if you want to ever make it back to sxm.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |