The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Can anyone help me locate someone??
Posted by: flip (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 25, 2007 10:58PM

Can anyone help me locate someone I met in Philipsburg, St Maarten last January? I have tried to contact several shops I visited close to where he was working but I haven't had any luck. One of the shops close to him is called Jewelry Avenue on Front Steet,Kannel Steeg unit 2 at Booby's Marina. His name is Al and he cleans fish for one of the restaurant/bar close to the waterfront. There is also a small hut with a gentelman they all called "Pappy" that is right next to the table where he cleans the fish. I truely would like to contact him again. If there is anyone who could possibly contact him and either give him my email address.. msflip56@aol.com or get a phone number for me to call him. Thank you so much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can anyone help me locate someone??
Posted by: flip (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 12, 2007 12:29PM

Still hoping someone from the dutch side of St maarten can help me locate a friend of mine.

Posted by: James V (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2014 08:18PM

We were on a Carnival Cruise ship traveling the Caribbean and taking it easy on our day in St. Martin. The cruise ship had Jewelry Avenue on their recommended shops, so we stopped in. At first everything was fine, the normal haggling over the price of a trinket--the price never got to our liking as it was a silver plated piece that was quite small with a zinc chain. As we were leaving a shop keeper (male) yelled out, $20. We said, sure, we'll go to the ATM and get the cash.

When we came back (5 minutes) the man was replaced by an angry Indian woman, the price was suddenly $40 and she out and out called us liars on the price. As we were leaving (again) she was screaming curse words in English and Hindi at us and told us that everyone there yells out the $20 to keep the customer in the store.

There are too many good reputable jewelers in the area to waste ANY time on these guys. We spoke to others on the ship who had a similar experience. Moreover, another couple had to call the police to get their money back when they were sold FAKE jewelry. We were shocked that this is a recommended shop and will make a point not to give them any business.

Here is an image of their store front:

Posted by: SXMNorm (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 07, 2014 09:23PM

I'm pretty sure that for the right price, the cruise ships recommend anyone.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2014 11:02AM

they sure do!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: pat (32.216.68.---)
Date: June 08, 2014 03:25PM

And from what I understand from one of the many reputable jewelers, that price isn't anything to sneeze at. The cruise lines demand a huge fee to be on their "recommendeded" A list of shops.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |