The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

New restaurants
Posted by: pumpkin (---.LAW.CWRU.Edu)
Date: March 02, 2007 01:51PM

Will be in St. Martin (French side) next week. Was wondering if anyone has any new favorite restaurants that my husband and I should visit. We haven't been there since last March.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New restaurants
Posted by: tt (---.msn.com)
Date: March 02, 2007 04:27PM

you must visit yvettes in Orleans as it is the best local food on the island plus you can get surf and turf for 22.00. most meals run 11 to $14. say hi to felix .enjoy

Posted by: LennySXM (72.252.9.---)
Date: March 02, 2007 04:28PM

If you're not cemented to the French Side, try Valentino's at the Simpson Bay Yacht Club. It opened about a month ago and it's a goodie. Great food, pictures of movie stars and did I say great food? Oh. Better have a reservation. Don't know if their phones are in yet but you can make the reservation by calling Jimbo's Grill at 544-3600.

Posted by: biturbo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 03, 2007 04:16PM

Sol e Luna, in French Cul de Sac, I promise you will not be disappointed. Also, our favorite Italian food is La Gondola, in Cupecoy--a bit pricey but no more than a comparable meal stateside. Bon appetit!

Posted by: LennySXM (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 10:07AM

biturbo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sol e Luna, in French Cul de Sac, I promise you
> will not be disappointed. Also, our favorite
> Italian food is La Gondola, in Cupecoy--a bit
> pricey but no more than a comparable meal
> stateside. Bon appetit!

Really. Then how come I was disappointed. Great atmosphere but when I pay over $30 for a dish I would like there to be something on the plate that doesn't look like an appetizer. I can name a ton of restaurants where the food is not only better but less expensive and more plentiful. It is, however, a beautiful place.

Posted by: tt (---.msn.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 01:01PM

i agree. sol du lunar is beautiful but way overpriced for what you get which does usually look like an appetizer. try the restaurant across from the pharmacy in the cul du sac.forgot the name but good food and fine prices run by local people.. also the one just before sol du lunar on same side that looks like a cave inside.(think the name is like la tui tu) great rare tuna.also at the turnaround in philipsburg Marks place. very reasonable, great food and large portions.

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2007 07:00PM

I have to agree. Sol e Luna has one of the most romantic ambiance's on SXM but is very overrated, IMHO! I was there a few weeks ago and had the Cioppino which wasn't very flavorful and a bit pricy. My husband had the shrimp and said it was just ok. We had joined some friends for dinner or we wouldn't have returned.
We had a much better dinner at Don Camillo's in Marigot. Service was spectacular as well as the food. Everything we had (along with our 6 friends) was excellent.
We really enjoy Bistrot Caraibes, haven't had a complaint with them in 6 years.....also, Hidden Forest Cafe @ Lotterie Farm. Now, that is fabulous!!
Enjoy wherever you go.....afterall, it is SXM!!!

:-D Contessa

Posted by: Edgar (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2007 03:50PM

I don't think Sol E Luna is any more expensive than Bistro Caribes, and, if I may be so bold, I think the food is better.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2007 04:47PM

I agree, Edgar
unfortunately all the gourmet French side restaurants are more expensive now with the Euro exchange, unless they are giving 1 to 1.
I love Sol e Luna, think the food is great, the setting fabulous, but would only go for a special occasion as it is expensive.. but I feel that way about a lot of restaurants on the French side.

Posted by: AlanB (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 05:39PM

The one time we went to Sol e Luna, and this was a couple of years ago, we had a really bad experience. Someone in the party at the next table ordered the same shrimp entree as my wife, but returned it because they felt it was brought too soon and they were still working on their appetizers.

When they brought our entrees, it was obvious that my wife's dinner was the same plate returned by the other party and had been laying around in the kitchen. They tried to pass this off on us and made a fresh meal for their apparently regular customer at the other table. Our complaint was met with indifference, the manager denied the meal was not fresh, so we refused our entrees, paid for our appetizers, walked out and grabbed some bbq at Talk of the Town. Won't go back to Sol e Luna.

Want a really good meal just down the street. Try Le Taitu.

BTW - we feel you can't have a "bad meal". If it's bad, and the management won't make good on it, pay for what you've eaten and your drinks, and leave. There's always a better place to eat, particularly on SXM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2007 05:42PM by AlanB.

Posted by: Marguerite (---.si.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2007 08:51PM

Again, if you don't mind going to the Dutch side, best restaurants, on the whole island, IMO, are Temptaton & right next door, Rare for steaks. Dino, the owner, trained in NYC & the decor, food & service can't be beat.

Posted by: Regular visitor (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2007 01:05AM

You would go froma FRENCH island to a Dutch island for better food?
Oh, yeah that makes sense!!!
How about British food, the ultimate oxymoron!!

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2007 03:41PM

there are excellent restaurants on the dutch side..just as good as the French side.
the whole island is a gourmet experience

Posted by: jmbcomms (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2007 06:10PM

Went to Valentino's a few days before it opened (February 14, Jimbo's birthday, which is really why he calls it Valentino's) --- GREAT place. Definitely get reservations though, it is small and sells out quickly.

Jeff Berger
www.everythingstmaarten.com (Giving away nine weeks of St. Maarten vacations in 2007!)
www.jmbcommunications.com
www.websitesthatwork.info

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |