The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Can anyone suggest a timeshare for a first time buyer?
Posted by: shooshoo62 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2006 09:39PM

Do not buy at the Caravanserai. I got hosed. I bought 2 weeks a year ago and htey still haven't started building. More important, they just hit me for an assessment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: riptide (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 17, 2006 10:18PM

Towers owners seem to be a satisfied lot.
i was wondering.
What effect did Ansari's absconding with the 8 million in insurance money from hurricanes louis and marilyn have, if any, on you guys?

Rip

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 17, 2006 10:39PM

sNone...that I know of. The Towers is/was not a part of the Mullet Bay Resort...never was...never will be. It stands alone in ownership and management.

Date: December 17, 2006 10:48PM

Check TowersatMulletBay.com for an overview. The golf thing is misleading...the course is not part of the Towers...it just happens to wrap around 3 sides of the building providing some good views and some NOT so good views (still unrepaired destruction from the hurricane).

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 19, 2006 07:18AM

riptide,

In all honesty, and with the definite exception of the physical appearance of the Mullet Bay Resort property, the only loss we, as Towers owners felt, was the loss of all the Mullet Bay amenities. We had arrangements with them for dining and water sports, etc., which, with the loss of the resort all went away. Beyond that and the usual confusion in the minds of a lot of people as to whether or not The Towers at Mullet Bay is the same as Mullet Bay Resort??? we felt little or no effects at all. There were no assessments and the one thing I think it did do was help hold our annual fees in check. We still get reduced rate golf or in the case of Charter Owners, free golf and we still have free chairs at Mullet Bay Beach and those are the reasons many purchased there coupled with the open spaces of the golfcourse.

The Towers was and still is, IMHO, one of the better but less known timeshares on the island, and truthfully, that's not really such a bad thing. The thoughts of the construction of a new Mullet Bay Resort down the road scares the daylights out of me, though. Hopefully, not another mess like the Westin property or the chaos being built all over Cupecoy and that immediate area but this all remains to be seen.

Respectfully,

pat

:-) :-)

Posted by: jmasons (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2006 06:03PM

just a freindly suggestion / don't buy on the island / purchase a resale sunterra property and join" the club sunterra " so you can go to st. martin virtually any time of the year rather than being tied to the same week all of the time / i have purchased 5 different sunterra properties on ebay and paid to convert them into the sunterra points / even with the 3000. dollar fee to put them into points i am many-many-many thousands of dollars ahead of buying direct from the developer/ oh by the way we prefer to stay at the royal palm next to the simpson bay bridge it is a sunterra property and is really close to everything we need except orient beach / we have been staying there for the last five years in feb. and have never had a problem booking our time / flamingo beach resort is also a sunterra property and is only a half mile or so from the royal palm / it also is a pretty nice resort / i don't work for sunterra /it has just worked out well for us / good luck

Posted by: WWII (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2006 07:02PM

Those of us with fixed weeks at RP or where ever, prefer not to convert to points because we want to vacation for the particular week/s which we own. Why pay more (to covert to points) for something we already have? Buying on the secondary market can be much cheaper, that much I do agree with. If you are a person who wants to go to different resorts at different times, points might make sense.

Date: December 19, 2006 07:56PM

Hey Pat....did you see we finally have a web site and e-mail capability at the Towers? Rochelle and Maggie actually respond to e-mail in the reservations office.....now that's PROGRESS !!!!!!!!!!!

www.TowersAtMulletBay.com
Towersrsv@megatropic.com

Date: December 19, 2006 09:27PM

Spike,

They've had it for a while but it was their own little secret. We found out about it by accident a few years ago when we were purchasing an additional week through a resale company and wanted to know if the deal was legitimate.

I love the fact that the ladies are using it more and more but when they get a little back-logged, their e-mails can be ignored for days on end.

So, Spike, did you pick up any good MB gossip while you were there? I know you weren't very happy when you were down last year so I'm hoping this trip found your unit in good shape and The Towers at least at status quo and not slipping backwards. It's very disconcerting to read about all the problems others have with so many island timeshares and I get nervous fearing what may lay in store for us down the road with the redevelopment of Mullet Bay, because let's face it, they're definitely going to rebuild something someday. I just hope when they do it's something tasteful as opposed to some of the monster buildings that have been built in the past 2-3 years.

Did you notice much in the line of stepped up police presence out in the Mullet Bay/Cupecoy area? Supposedly they were going to step up their visibility in light of the problems in the last 5-6 months in that area as a whole.

Respectfully,

pat

Date: December 19, 2006 10:12PM

Increased police prescence? Nope. Any property improvements (Towers or Mullet)? Nope. Biggest disappointment with our Towers was in the once beautiful atrium/lobby that you walk into. It is now nothing more than a marketing area for the ticket person working at the activity desk. Brochures and pamplets everywhere...covering every table and piece of furniture in the place...posters everywhere...you'll be disgusted. Don't know the activity director's name but she's built an empire in the lobby.

Posted by: WWII (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: December 20, 2006 01:16PM

Spike, That is good news!! (about the e-mails)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2006 01:19PM by WWII.

Date: December 20, 2006 07:31PM

Spike,

That is really too bad. Cecilia is doing her job, I guess, but I will hate to see the lobby turned into a tacky activities promo area.

Do you think anything has been said to management about the way it looks? If it's all that bad you can make book on the fact I'll say something to Rochelle when I'm there but that's not until April this year and I'm thinking if no one mentions it, for sure nothing will be done about it.

Articles in the Daily Herald have mentioned increased police presence in the Mullet Bay and Cupecoy areas so one could only hope, given the things that have happened in that area in general over the past year. And the other thing I was hoping you'd be able to say was that there was finally a new shipment of lounge chairs and umbrellas out by the pool. Ah, but that's right - you're not a pool person. Oh well, maybe by April - one can only hope!!

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: Marguerite (---.gtwy.uscourts.gov)
Date: January 08, 2007 03:29PM

First, a Happy New Year to all - I haven't been able to post for a while, but I wanted to wish all a good new year. Pat & Spike, as owners of Towers, don't you feel the place has gotten a bit run down? We bought our 2 bdrm in 1989 and while we really love going to sxm, we're a bit disappointed that the units haven't been kept up to par, yet the maintenance has kept increasing. Our unit has the same tired bedspread & drapes, worn area rugs & sagging mattress. The mirrors are beginning to show signs of wear & peeling & the frig doesn't always work right. The marble floor could use some grouting & repair as well.

We've voiced our complaints - as have 2 other owners we know of - but while we're assured they're going to re-do the units, they never do. I really do like the Towers & don't regret our choice to timeshare on beautiful St. Maarten, but I'd like to see the Towers management keep their word about updating & maintaining as was promised when we first purchased (of course).

Date: January 11, 2007 09:01PM

Marguerite,

Sorry not to have responded sooner but I haven't been on line all that much lately.

Yes, I do think there are improvements that could be made at The Towers in the overall up-dating of the building and units, but nothing that is really all that severe and certainly nothing that would cause me to consider going elsewhere.

As you stated, our fees have increased each year, but our increases have been minimal and no where near the increases so many other places have experienced so I guess for that reason I accept the slightly faded drapes and absence of adequate chairs by the pool. Given the assessments so many timeshare properties have experienced over the past few years I guess I'm more tolerant than many might be. And of course I'd love the property to be as pristine as it was when it first opened and I continue to hope someday soon it may be again.

Respectfully,

pat

Date: January 12, 2007 04:13PM

Dear Marguerite...I couldn't say it any better than Pat did. You forgot to mention the sliding glass doors...yikes...they're getting harder and harder to open every year...tracks are simply worn out !!! Agree...there's been considerable "wear and tear" over the years that need a bit of maintenance.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |