The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dollar vs Euro ... Restaurant costs
Posted by: Tom&Denise (---.adsl.mags.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 12:33PM

I presume that most all the restaurants on the French side are charging in Euros.

Frankly, we think the food & atmosphere to be better in Grand Case or Marigot- just a personal choice over the last 12 years.

With the dollar tanking its' quite a hit to do anything in Euros or British pounds nowadays.

Are there any establishments giving the tourists a break??

T&D

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dollar vs Euro ... Restaurant costs
Posted by: Kevin B. (---.7.33.210.caribserve.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 01:50PM

There are few of them I belive in Grand Case, but for us , living in Dawn Beach/Oyster Pond Area we only and highly recommend TABBA KHADY ... They do 1 euro = $1 and not service charge added to your bill. Plus their prices are REALLY reasonable. Check their website : www.tabba-khady.com . You will enjoy this place.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2006 05:26PM

Nice job Kevin B. @ caribserve.net...I couldn't advertise any better than that if I tried.

Posted by: rickscott (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2006 08:14AM

California; Great restaurant and 1 for 1 if yhou pay cash

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: December 06, 2006 02:17PM

I guess I'm alone in my opinion buy I personally dont believe the restraunts offering even exchange for Euro to dollars in cash haven't inflated the heck out of the menu prices. It just doesn't make sense for them to lose that money without making it up somewhere else. Please tell me how this is done?

Date: December 07, 2006 08:49AM

I just responded to a question the original poster asked : " Are there any establishments giving the tourists a break?? " ...Any response with a restaurant name will be advertizing then!!!Also, I live in Dawn Beach so I beleive that's normal I am using caribserve, and I know that, this particular restaurant is giving a break to tourists... it is up to you to go or not! trying to bring up a polemic here ???...

Date: December 07, 2006 08:51AM

They shop for supplies in the dutch side paying their products in US $... That's that simple.

Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: December 07, 2006 10:50AM

Kevin B.

Not trying to pick a fight here, but I have a question in case you know the answer.

If they buy their supplies on the Dutch side, why are their prices (for the most part) so much higher? I just have never been able to get my mind around this.

Any BTW - we also enjoyed Tabba Khady!!! Excellent recommendation.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: December 07, 2006 11:26AM

Thats a great answer. The French shop on the Dutch side with US dollars so they can afford to offer 1 to 1 for all the us patrons. Okay. I got it now. And I guess that would mean they shop on the French side for the things they charge French customers for in EUs? Yeah. Right. Got it. Thanks.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2006 09:42PM

I guess I'm slow. I still don't get it, though I really have tried. Why wouldn't any business shop for their supplies where they could get them at the lowest price? So what difference does it make where a restaurant shops for its supplies? The profit margin is still there, and whether it is charged in euros or dollars, it is still the same percentage of the total. Are you saying that the restaurant calculates its prices, knowing that the greatest majority of its patrons are Americans? Therefore, counting on $ for Euro, they have an adequate profit to remain in business. However, if their patrons pay with credit cards, in Euros, then their margin in greater. If that is the case, then the price is elevated to compensate for the dollar patrons. So for an American, the price is actually higher in the places that advertise $ for Euro.

Posted by: beachboi (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2006 05:26AM

When restaurants offer equal dollar-euro, they don't expect to do much euro business. Why would a a tourist from Europe spend more? Anyone familiar with food business will tell you the food costs are not the largest costs in running a restaurant. In some cases they are minimal. Much food is shipped in from Miami so costs are in dollars for a large number of items. There are specialty items that do come from Europe, but since these are often not the main ingredient on a plate, the cost difference is minimal. Go out eat and enjoy. Places are making the profit they expect.

Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2006 01:35PM

But, where on the thread was it established that Tabba Khady inflated the prices to compensate for the $1=1 Euro pricing?

Until it can be demonstrated that this restaurant has higher prices than similar restaurants without the 1 for 1 feature, it's more logical that Tabba Kahdy offers the 1 for 1 deal to attract customers.

Tabba Khady's not putting a service charge on the bill would tend to reinforce the idea that they're trying to be different in a way that attracts American customers.

The above poster stated that Tabba Kahdy's prices were reasonable. This, he would be sure to know. so, we can assume that any price comparisons with other similar restaurants would be inconclusive at best.

However, the above explanation of buying supplies on the Dutch side in order to afford to offer the 1 for 1 exchange, didn't quite pass the smell test. I suspect that the poster doesn't know the answer but wanted to give an answer, anyway; he just picked the wrong answer.

Ed

Posted by: rickscott (---.rcc.org)
Date: December 08, 2006 11:46PM

If anyone is familiar with Tabba Kahdy's, can you advise whether I should make reservations even before my trip or can I make them a day or 2 in advance while on SXM? Thanks, Rick

Posted by: John O. (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2006 02:28PM

Disregarding the restaurant side of the issue, a US patron using a credit card for a Euro purchase will end up paying the exchange difference and maybe a fee to boot. We were glad to pay in US cash at the Sunset Cafe at Grand Case Beach Club to get the 1 for 1 deal they were offering. (Food was as spectacular as the view of Anguilla)

Posted by: P Madden (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 09, 2006 04:16PM

I tried to get this posted several days ago. the important point is that you need to pay cash on the French side. Otherwise figure up to a rough 36-38% charge over cash.So,whereever you eat use cash to avoid exchange rates or credit charge fees.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |