The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Alamanda and First Visit
Posted by: sstagnaro1 (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 16, 2006 03:17PM

Alamanda and First Visit
Posted by: sstagnaro (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 16, 2006 03:11PM

Hello,

I have been reading everyones wonderful suggestions, and this boards is great! Aside from my rambling narrative at the beginning of this post I have included my questions at the end, your answers would be very much appreciated!!!

My husband and I will be traveling on our own for the first time since the birth of our daughter last year (we are leaving her at home with Grandma).

We have booked a stay at the Alamanda 1/6-1/13 and am wondering if anyone one has any additional feedback on that particular property. It was not terribly cheap, but we also booked rather late. I hear it is by the Orient beach which is supposed to be nice (we are native to Southern Cal, and now live in northern VA, and REALLY miss the beach).

I am a bit of a foodie and can't wait to sample all of what the island has to offer! I think we wil be renting a car, so we can visit both sides of the island and restaurants. We both like ANY kind of Water activities - Jet Ski, Snorkel, Scuba (though limited, we aren't yet certified), etc. Anyway, we are sooooo excited for our trip!

So here are my questions:

Are there any very special places or great local favorites we should go to to eat?

Any suggestions for the best places or best type of water activities/excursions (I want to go jet skiing, he likes to snorkel).

Suggestions for car rentals?

Unique places for shopping (Maybe with local food items,specialties,arts/crafts, etc.? (and also a place to pick up some cheap souvenirs and some liquor?)

A link to a good map and/or detailed local(non-touristy?) info on the web?

And, as mentioned earlier... feedback on the Alamanda

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alamanda and First Visit
Posted by: fabila (155.72.24.---)
Date: November 16, 2006 03:33PM

I hate to send you to another board but I've just completed a trip report on www.traveltalkonline.com where we stayed for a second time at Alamanda. Great little hotel. Breakfast served daily. Bar open 6 days a week, nice pool and very friendly staff.

My trip report is under SXM Forum "fabila" is my user name. A new restaurant Safari Grill opened up in Orient Village which is in the plaza next to Alamanda. Also a good Asian restaurant and great tapas at Le Cadre. I wouldn't recommend La Chappelle for dinner but they have pool tables, music and large TVs (sports bar) and stays open late. Tap 5 has wonderful pizza. A tex-mex place that I can't comment on having not eaten there. Bikini Beach is open for dinner and on Sunday nights they have beach parties from 4:00 PM until whenever. Besides the restaurants in Orient Village, down the road but still in the complex is Cafe Planation and L'Astroble for finer dining. Both places are around pools and very romantic.

All the beach bars have beach shops but they are not cheap. Walk down the beach towards Pedro's and you'll find a shop on the beach with swimswear and some beads, etc. DOn't buy 5 sourvenoirs from the beach people who hound you, they all get there stuff from Rima's in Philipsburg. Definately worth the trip over. Anklet braclets they they sell for around $8 to $10 -- you can get 3 for $10 at Rima's. Hawaiian-type shirts are 3 for $20 at Rima's. Hard liquor is cheap all over but the smaller stores do charge a bit more. I find wine and champagne prices comparable to the states, no bargains really on that. We usually buy liquor at whatever supermarket we are near and for home we buy it at the airport.

If you're a foodie you must go to Grand Case. Bistrot Caribes is our favorite but they are all good.

I hope I've help some.

Date: November 16, 2006 03:43PM

I have a questions about the "breakfast served daily" I have seen this mentioned a few times. Does this just mean that they have a restaurant open for breakfast or that it is included with the hotel stay(like a continental type thing)?

Date: November 16, 2006 03:45PM

I forgot to add, thank you. I will check out your post on traveltalk.

Posted by: fabila (155.72.24.---)
Date: November 16, 2006 04:54PM

You're very welcome. I should add if you search the SXM Archive trip report under my id, my 9th trip report would have more details about Alamanda then my latest.

Breakfast is not included at Alamanda. The service is a tad too slow for us but the setting is very nice. You order ala carte off their menu. There are many breakfast options on and around Orient. Baywatch serves American Breakfast on Orient from 7:30 AM. Andy gets there early and you can help yourself to coffee but food wont'be be served until after 7:00 AM. Bikini also does breakfast as does Safari Grill, Cafe Planation. There is a place Rancho something or other right outside the complex. If you have a car drive over to Grand Case Beach club and eat at the Sunset Cafe, very nice breakfast and great views of Anguilla.

Many french breakfasts offered at Marigot Marina. La Crossanterie and Zee Best are our favorites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2006 04:58PM by fabila.

Posted by: MRC (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2006 03:18PM

We've stayed at the Alamanda for the past 3 visits, and don't have any complaints. They can arrange a car for you if you don't want to rent one at the airport. I believe they use a company called Jumbo. They can pick you up at the airport, and bring you the car at the hotel, and also get you a ride back to the airport when you leave. That's always what we've done and it's worked out well. We've eaten at all of the restaurants in Orient Village (directly behind the hotel) except for La Chappelle and the new Safari Grill (it wasn't there earlier this year). We've enjoyed all of them, and it's great not to have to deal with driving if you want a few extra cocktails in the evening winking smiley

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |