The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Which hotel to stay at in late April 07?
Posted by: cmarion (---.pch.gc.ca)
Date: October 02, 2006 03:10PM

Hello everyone,

My husband and I want to go on one last trip in mid to late April before we get pregnant with our first child and since we have been wanting to go to St-Maarten for a long time, we decided that now would be the perfect time.

However, this is our first trip to SMX and we were wondering where the best places to stay on a budget would be,starting in Mid-April 2007? Should we go to an all inclusive or not, rent a villa, etc... Is food affordable on the Island?

I have read on this thread that renting a car to get around is the way to go so do you have any suggestions as to which company to rent from?

Finally, the sailing regatta boat excursion seems really fun. Can anyone tell me if it is worth while?

Thanks for your information in advance.

Chantal

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which hotel to stay at in late April 07?
Posted by: GaKaye (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2006 09:22PM

I can't help you with suggestions on where to stay on a budget, but I'm sure someone will pipe in. Dining can be inexpensive or not, depending on where you eat. The French side of the island in particular is renowned for its restaurants, and you should venture into Grand Case for at least one expensive meal. The 12-metre sailing challange is absolutely worth while. We do it every time we go, and it is always the highlight of our trip. We have rented cars from Lesley Bruce at Kenny's and from Mohamed at Panoramic. Both are reasonably priced and offer fantastic service. Have fun!!

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: October 03, 2006 12:31PM

Gotta agree with the 12-meter sailing challenge. Probly one of the best things to do on the whole island. And renting a car from Leslie Bruce and Kenny Car Rental is a good suggestion to. Food isnt such a focal point to me but their are many super places without spending the company store. If you want to blow a bundle by all means head out to Grand Case but there is excellent food everywhere. For good but reasonable try Marks, Lees, Shrimpys, or the Gran Cass lolos (which I think are highly overrated) or Lidos Express Ribs which really are the best and incredibl inexpensive. Wouldnt personally recommend all inclusive on SXM but its one way of knowing your expenses up front and Great Bay usually has a good AI deal. Try Cheap Caribean.com for timeshare deals and you can save a bunch by doing a few meals in your condo that way. Also check some of the airlines for their packages. Thats after Easter so you might come up with a real good dea.

Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: October 03, 2006 01:32PM

We go to SXM on a budget 3 times a year!

April 15th the prices drop - so if you can swing it, that's the time to go.

You should check out Les Balcons at www.lesbalcons.com

The prices are great and the accomodations are absolutely wonderful. Lovely individual bungalows. They are located just over the border in French St Martin on Oyster Pond. Great location - easy to get to Orient Beach, Philipsburg.....

Budget places to eat (and drink!):

Any of the lolo's
Buccaneer Beach Bar (great food!)
Shrimpy's
Dingy Dock (walking distance to Les Balcons - great happy hour and really nice food)
Yvettes

There's many more.......

We rent from Alain Arnell at AAA. We all have our favorites. That time of year a car should cost about $120 - $150 a week.

Date: October 03, 2006 03:35PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. If anyone else has any suggestions, that would be great. My husband would prefer to stay on the Dutch side if at all possible.

Thank you again.

Date: October 03, 2006 03:38PM

Budget on the Dutch side:

Turquoise Shell Inn
Summitt Resort

Posted by: dicki (---.msn.com)
Date: October 03, 2006 06:38PM

where is shrimpys.what nmenu like

Posted by: musesxm (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2006 09:12AM

Here's my version of a low budget plan with great results.
Accomodation - Residance de la Plage apartment on Orient Beach - there are several aprtments but I would recommend # 38 which has a wonderfull view of the bay and it's location in Orient village is excellent. Facilities are great. You should be able to get this for about $ 700 a week - # 38 is a studio apartment and perfect for 2 people.

Food - you will be 2 mins walk to Tap 5 restaurant and grocery store - fresh bread, croissant, coffee and much more for brakfast. Pick up frsh made baguettes for lunch and head off for the Perch at Club Orient for midday happy hour ( two for one drinks ) and have a great day on the beach. Evening meals you have many options. If you don't want to travel out there are a few options in the Orient Village - you can get pizza and rottiserie chicken etc from Tap 5 and there are a number of low cost options in the restaurants there. If you travel out there are lot's of other options listed in other replies here. One notable place is Lal"s Indian Cuisine on Airport Road just opposite the old terminal. It's a great place.

Car rental - I have used AAA for years and would not go elsewhere

Date: October 04, 2006 10:11AM

Shrimpy's is behind what used to be Hot Tomatoes. Fish and Chips, and a very eclectic tapas menu. Daily specials

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: October 04, 2006 01:08PM

cmarion, at the risk of repeating myself and since you really want to stay on the Dutch side try contacting www.cheapcaribbean.com . They often can set you up on real good deals for air and timeshare hotels. Some on the beach and some not and all of them better than staying in just a hotelroom. Also try AA or USir and check out the package deals they offer like to Great Bay and Maho also PortduPlasance and Summit. These are good choices if their there at the time you want to travel. Youll love SXM and what a place to make a baby.

Date: October 05, 2006 12:51PM

Thanks for all the information everyone. We are just in the first stages of planning so I may have other questions later on.

Posted by: calchip (---.fv.dl.cox.net)
Date: October 21, 2006 10:36PM

Musesxm, Please don't tell people that unit #38 at Residence de la Plague has a "wonderful view of the bay". It must have been years since you have been there. I stayed there two weeks ago and there is no view from the balcony unless you consider looking at trees from 10 feet away a wonderful view. If you stand on one of the lounge chairs on the balcony you can see water in the distance over the trees. It is a wonderful location, close to the beach and is reasonable at $800. per week. Be careful with the steep stairs and watch out for the A/C unit over the bed leaking water on you while you sleep. It was worth the money, but I'll choose another location next time with an ocean view.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |