The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

cell phone
Posted by: beachbob (---.upd.sunysb.edu)
Date: September 24, 2006 05:27PM

Returning to SXM in a couple of weeks and a family situation makes in necessary to have a cell phone with us. I learned that Verizon does not provide cell service on St. Maarten. Any suggestions on what is the best way of doing this? Is it easier to get the phone here in the US or rent one after we get to SXM? How much does it cost? Thanks, Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cell phone
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 24, 2006 05:49PM

the best deal by far is to rent from Sharon Harris
[www.queenofsxm.com.]
her email is:
Sharon Harris
E-mail Address(es):
queenofsxm2000@yahoo.com

The cost of renting a phone for one week is $30.00 which includes $15.00 worth of time on the phone. Additional weeks are $10.00 each & additional days are $3.00 each. The rate to call the US is .32 per minute, Canada .48 per minute, Dutch side .30 per minute, French side .30 per minute with all billing done in 1 second increments.

Posted by: God (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2006 06:59PM

You may want to contact Verizon and inquire because according to their web site they do have International Roaming in SXM;

Verizon international roaming in SXM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2006 07:00PM by God.

Posted by: Tom&Denise (---.adsl.mags.net)
Date: November 24, 2006 06:15PM

Can anyone verify that VERIZON is active in SX?? Any details on connecting??

T&D

Posted by: pasnyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2006 08:39PM

According to Verizon Wireless site:

[mobileoptions.vzw.com]
Netherlands Antilles
1.49 Standard Int'l Dialing Per Minutes Rates*
0.35 Int'l LD Value Plan Per Minute Rates**

*Standard International Dialing rates apply in addition to airtime charges per your Calling Plan on calls made from the Verizon Wireless network. Rates and service availability may vary when your phone's banner displays "Extended Network". When roaming, the serving carrier's rates, taxes and surcharges apply. Rates are subject to change without notice.

** Rates apply in addition to airtime charges per your Calling Plan only on calls to Value Plan countries made from your Calling Plan's Home Airtime Rate and Coverage Area. If your Calling Plan includes calls to any Value Plan country, those calls will be billed per your Calling Plan. Except when roaming on another carrier's network, in which case that carrier's rates, taxes and surcharges apply. All other international calls are billed at standard International Dialing rates.

Posted by: reena (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 25, 2006 01:07PM

You should rent one from AMS VOICECOM in the SEA PALACE HOTEL in front street. They're fantastic and you can rent a phone for less than the socalled queenofsxm and their rates to the US kickass on many calling cards out there too. These guys are friendly and attentive and have a really good customer service department, so you will definately not be sorry you went with them instead. Call them and find out - 543 1262. They are always happy to help. I know when I return, they will be the first people i contact to get my phone service.

Posted by: Chay Chay (---.tstt.net.tt)
Date: May 03, 2009 07:28PM

I am planning to roam in SXM, i am from Trinidad and I use bMobile. I hear the reception in SXM is horrendous. Can anyone confirm? I hear no bars at all. My friend is staying at Westin Dawn Beach Resort, no reception only on the beach. Should I roam?

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |