The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Baie Longe safety
Posted by: Dr.Joe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 20, 2006 08:08PM

We have been coming to St. Martin for 14 years. The past 2 years,we've had our car broken into at Baie Longe, cleaning out whatever we had in the trunk, fortunately just some sandals, and a tent we put up on the beach for some protection from the sun, and causing minor damage to the vehicle. The previous years were no problem. This is our favorite beach not only because of it's seclusion and privacy, obviously lending itself to the vandalism, but also it's beauty. We are returning in October for 2 weeks and I was wondering, or should I say hoping, that things have improved and we can once again return to this lovely beach. Has the vandalism there contiued to be a problem? Thanks for your input, 7 weeks and counting!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Baie Longe safety
Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 20, 2006 09:27PM

Dr. Joe,

As much as I hate to say this, things have not gotten any better there or at many of the other beaches. The trick is, leave nothing in the car in the first place but that still doesn't stop them from breaking in to take a look.

And as far as your not having this problem in the past, we had friends who left their purses in their trunk in front of two gendarmes while they took a last minute look at the beach before they went to the airport to catch their plane home. When they returned to their car, supposedly less than ten minutes later, the trunk was open, the purses were gone and so were the gendarmes. This happened about twelve or fifteen years ago at Baie Longue so it's definitely an on-going problem. The really bad thing was that all their money, credit cards, boarding passes and passports were in those purses and these women absolutely knew better than to do something that dumb. What a terrible ending to an otherwise lovely vacation.

We've been going to the island for 34 years and for the past twenty we just don't leave anything in the car anywhere antime ever. Period! The good news, though, is these crimes are against things and not people and there shouldn't be major concern for your person. I thnk you can still go and enjoy this lovely spot without personal safety being an issue.

pat
:-) :-)

Posted by: rickscott (---.rcc.org)
Date: August 21, 2006 04:59AM

I never leave anything in the car but last year, I noticed my doors would be unloced when we retruned a couple times even though I had locked them.

Posted by: WWII (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 21, 2006 09:47PM

As I read this, I can't help but think this is totally ignored by the police on both sides of the island. After more than 10 years of visits, I'm always amazed how fast the cars get opened and emptied. I would think a little surveillance would result in many arrests, if it was desired.

Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 22, 2006 11:13AM

WWII Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As I read this, I can't help but think this is
> totally ignored by the police on both sides of the
> island. After more than 10 years of visits, I'm
> always amazed how fast the cars get opened and
> emptied. I would think a little surveillance
> would result in many arrests, if it was desired.

I think they have it factored into the island economy. Think of it as a form of welfare.

Ed

Posted by: delorget (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2006 05:11PM

I find it interesting that the car rental company requires you to lock the vehicle, thus resulting in a break-in (and an insurance claim). Does anyone know if there is an actual car theft problem in addition to these break-ins? Would it be wise to just leave the car unlocked, and empty, of course?

Looking forward to our return in 7 weeks, in spite of this small problem.

Posted by: WWII (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2006 09:03PM

Mine was stolen a few years ago, but my credit card covered the damage claim after the car was recovered.

Posted by: LovSXM (216.206.81.---)
Date: August 23, 2006 11:18AM

I had the same thought about leaving car unlocked ... but was told by rental to lock it ... if nothing else it makes it more difficult for someone to steal spare tire ... and I think most of the time there is little or no damage with breakends ... these guys know how to "get r' done" ... just be sure to use credit card that provides protection ...

Posted by: musesxm (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2006 09:30AM

I've been visiting the island for over 10 years and was advized on my very first trip to avoid car theft. My recipe is that I always rent a small SUV ( no trunk ) I never leave anything in the vehicle and I leave the it unlocked and mostly with the windows open - so far so good.

Posted by: RAB (---.dynamic.rpi.edu)
Date: August 24, 2006 12:39PM

I have been told (don't know if it is accurate) that leaving the car unlocked could void the insurance on the grounds that you were not using prudent care. I think leaving nothing in the car and a good credit card is the best way to go.

Posted by: ThatIs (149.68.19.---)
Date: August 25, 2006 09:03AM

I think leaving the car unlocked is using prudent care in SXM and certainly avoids any attempted breakin damage. That with leaving nothing in the car anywhere for any amount of time is the norm.

Posted by: musesxm (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2006 09:10AM

I agree that normal logic would support your argument but this is the caribbean - why damage a car if there is nothing to gain ( $$$$ ) - mindless vanadalism is not the issue in SXM and if it was it would not matter if you locked the car or not.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |