The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

stay at L hoste
Posted by: L hoste staff (201.220.4.---)
Date: July 30, 2006 10:40AM

Hi Anthea (Kelly),

We are home and want to thank you for your fabulous hospitality during our stay! We had a wonderful time and are ready to come back - wish it could be tomorrow!

Following is the review I wrote on Trip Advisor, feel free to post it if you like.

Thanks again for everything!
Marie & Clint Wood

My husband and I recently stayed a week at L'Hoste on Orient Beach. Prior to our arrival I exchanged several emails from Anthea (aka Kelly) at the hotel regarding our reservation. Her replies to my questions were prompt and informative. Anthea met us when we arrived and showed us to our room. She was an invaluable source of help and information during our stay.
We stayed in a Bamboo Suite and it was very clean and comfortable. While not the fanciest hotel, it was
absolutely perfect for a beach hotel. Their LaPlaya
beach bar and grill offered very good food and service. The pool was impeccable and we enjoyed evening swims with a fabulous view of the mountains.

Just past the pool area, there is a "village" of restaurants and stores. The small grocery store will provide your basics for your stay, as the hotel provides a very good breakfast - poolside!, you won't need much. The many restaurants in this village offered a variety of ethnic food choices - we tried at least 4 of these and they were all wonderful. Yes, food is expensive in St. Maritn, particularly on the French side, however it was all incredible. Even when the power went out one evening at the TexMex restaurant they continued to refill our drinks, provide endless chips and candles until the power came back. Eating outside is lovely in the evening, even though summer, there was always a cool breeze. As many have written the Tap 5 pizza is also great and a reasonable cost alternative. At the more expensive restaurants, consider an appetizer and sharing an entree, the portions are plentiful and are more than enough to share - or have leftovers the next day for lunch.

Having these numerous restaurants nearby provides an alternative to driving to at night (particularly Grand Case very crowded streets) and having to drive in the dark on the moutain roads. This in turn leads me to suggest you upgrade your rental car. L'Hoste offers a very nice fleet of cars and while more pricey than the tiny 4 door by Alamo, etc., they are sturdy and in very good condition. Unless you plan to tour everyday of your stay a weekly rental is not really needed. The roads are not lighted at night and have
many potholes, speed bumps and trenches. I would
suggest renting from L'Hoste on a daily as needed basis (they will bring the car to the airport for you). However long you choose to rent your car, we cannot stress strongly enough that you UPGRADE!
Preferably to an SUV type of vehicle. Every trip in our little car was a physically taxing adventure. As they are small and low to the road, you literally feel every bump, excruiatinly so. We cracked the transmission pan at some point - on one of the holes or bumps we are sure. Beware - it's not like AAA is roaming the island looking for you! Again, upgrade, it's a different situation on the island than in the states.

We took an evening sunset cruise on Simpson Bay, on the Celine. Kindly and quickly arranged by our friend Anthea (Kelly) at L'Hoste. The cruise was well worth the price ($25) and very relaxing and informative.

If you are looking for a relaxing, enjoyable, beach vacation, L'Hoste is your place to stay. They are very friendly, everything we asked for was provided immediately and the room was clean and cozy. As for those who have complained in other reviews about the lack of a shower curtain in the very spacious bathroom, all I can say is "when in Rome...." There were no issues with massive amounts of water on the floor, the bath mat provided was plenty.

Choose, L'Hoste, relax, enjoy their beautiful beach and pool. Eat at the wonderful restaurants in the "villlage" , and oh yes, try the eggrolls at the Bikini Beach Bar & Grill next door to the hotel. - incredible! Rent a car, see some sites and shop in Phillipsburg.. I personally recommend AMA Jewelry stores, very helpful and great prices for a "jewelry freak" like me. You cannot go wrong with L'Hoste and their fabulous staff. You won't want to come home!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stay at L hoste
Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2006 08:24AM

Sounds like someone is on their better behavior after screwing up on the robbery! Hmmmmmm......after the horse has left the barn.
:-( Contessa

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 03:12PM

I've said before and will say again there are usually three sides to every story. Yours theirs and somewhere in between usually the truth. And since none of us were their but the principals why not just let them sort it all out rather than spread all this vitriol based on what you ASSume is the truth from either source?

Posted by: Charles (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 04:37PM

This original post would seem to come under the heading of advertising (although in the form of a testimonial) by the owners of L'Hoste or am I missing their intention. Has the advertising criteria changed?

Posted by: Chas (12.16.111.---)
Date: August 03, 2006 06:36PM

"After the horse has left the barn."

But of course your posts still prove thae uhm, uhm oh yeah donkey is still in the barn.

And to the other nitwits. Yeah, like the owner would take the time to write a trip report like this. What sheep you are. D**n there's that barn reference again. Thanks Phyl!

Posted by: Danielle Clark (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2007 12:00AM

Truly after the horse has left the barn. One thing that has always puzzled me about this terrible incident. The credibility of the staff was it questioned? It was stated that the hotel has been run by the family for 14 years, but was it ran by the oldest sister for 14 years? No focus was ever placed on her husband who has had many run ins with the law not to mention one of them being robbery and thence from the latter, he would also be affiliated (inside job hmmm) with other robbers. Food for thought!!

Date: April 17, 2007 12:00AM

Truly after the horse has left the barn. One thing that has always puzzled me about this terrible incident. The credibility of the staff was it questioned? It was stated that the hotel has been run by the family for 14 years, but was it ran by the oldest sister for 14 years? No focus was ever placed on her husband who has had many run ins with the law not to mention one of them being robbery and thence from the latter, he would also be affiliated (inside job hmmm) with other robbers. Food for thought!!

Re stay at L hoste
Date: April 17, 2007 12:01AM

Posted by: Gov (---.mercermc.com)
Date: April 17, 2007 10:03AM

Chas,
Clearly you're not very bright.

Posted by: WOW (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 10:23PM

Is this the robbery where the victims(?) left all of their valuables on the bed rather than using the safe. Hmmmmmm. The horse may have left the barn but something smells of fish in the state of Denmark!!!

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |