The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Avis to Thrifty
Posted by: Karin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 19, 2006 11:42PM

Yes, an odd request, sorry in advance. I'm familiar with where Hertz and Thrify is on the road to the airport, but where is Avis?.. is that the first one you hit as you leave the airport towards the car rentals?.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Avis to Thrifty
Posted by: Mary (192.154.91.---)
Date: July 20, 2006 11:17AM

I was under the impression from speaking with Thrify that they were located inside the airport. Are the rentals cars off site? Do you know if any rental cars are located right outside the airport. I am trying to avoid taking a shuttle bus to pick up my car.

Thanks,
Mary

Posted by: LovSXM (216.206.81.---)
Date: July 20, 2006 01:46PM

None the rentals have cars on site. Their (Thrify) office is on site ... but not the cars. Just got back a few weeks ago ... rented from Kenny's ... best experience I have had on SXM. He does paper work in the car in the parking lot right at the airport ... no shuttle ... same thing when you return. Fastest in and out I have ever experienced. You can email Kenny's at: "Lesley E. Bruce" <bruce@sintmaarten.net>

Paid about $26/day which included liability ins.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2006 09:04PM

Don't bother with any of these. Rent from Kenny's! Lesley Bruce, the owner, will bring you car to the airport, meet you at the gate, and the paperwork is done in the car. He is the BEST!

Date: July 21, 2006 11:31PM

Although I appreciate your opinions on other car rental companies, unfortunately that wasn't my question. I have a voucher for a free week from both, avis and hertz. My question was where exactly is Avis located on that road, that's all. Unless Kenny's will offer me the same, he or any other company, doesn't help me.

Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 22, 2006 07:49AM

Karin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although I appreciate your opinions on other car
> rental companies, unfortunately that wasn't my
> question. I have a voucher for a free week from
> both, avis and hertz. My question was where
> exactly is Avis located on that road, that's all.
> Unless Kenny's will offer me the same, he or any
> other company, doesn't help me.

Well, now you know that, on SXM boards, rent-a-car owners are thought of as rock stars for some reason.

Ed

Posted by: GaKaye (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2006 09:48AM

I think, but I'm not positive, that both have kiosks at the airport, and their cars and offices are located a short ways away. They have shuttles to take you there. You will see a doorway near baggage pickup. This of course, assumes that you are arriving at the old terminal. I don't think you can avoid the shuttle bus dealing with Avis or Thrifty.

Date: July 22, 2006 11:36AM

Yes, they do both have shuttles at the airport, but my question is how far apart are their two phsyical car locations where you pick up the car?..

And Ed, you couldn't be more correct about the unsolicited advise about Kenny's car rental.. I was never questioning how good or bad they are or any other company, just trying to figure out the exact locale, that's all..

Posted by: jiminboston (---.c3-0.bkl-ubr1.sbo-bkl.ma.cable.rcn.c)
Date: July 22, 2006 11:49AM

Avis is located in back of a Texaco station, on the airport road, a short way down the runway. It is just across the street from where business jets park.

Date: July 22, 2006 12:14PM

Great.. thank you Jim..

Posted by: stmartin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2006 10:24PM

Jiminboston is right! I can remember in the good old days walking down airport road to Avis.The one thing I remember was it never had air conditioning. Never had a problem but Kenny's is still the best.

Posted by: buddy (---.nalbach.com)
Date: July 26, 2006 02:33PM

Check with Avis before you go, many of the rental agencies are not company owned and will not honor coupons and free weeks. Be sure before you go and have some back-up to insure you don't have a problem!!

Posted by: Laura (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 28, 2006 12:40PM

Avis is just across and a little way down the street from the old terminal. They do have a shuttle and since they are so close, there's usually very little wait time to be picked up. One advantage we've found is that we like to go to Turtle Pier which is next door to the Avis lot. Turtle Pier has limited parking spaces but the Avis folks will let us park our car at their place. We've not tried Kenny's but it sounds good.

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 28, 2006 04:43PM

I will not tell you which rental car company to use but I will certainly second that advise regarding your free week's rental. Unless the coupon was issued by the Hertz or Avis rental IN SXM, they will promise you the world until you get there but once you enter their rental lot, will insist that they do not honor the coupon. Be politely forewarned.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |