The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

saftey
Posted by: Jeff (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2006 06:48PM

We were down there a week an a half ago and there were 3 robberies on or near by mullet bay beach on Sunday afternoon July 2nd. Tourist were the victims of the crime. Be careful

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: saftey
Posted by: Clark (---.arc6.atlnga1.dasdial.com)
Date: July 12, 2006 12:50AM

There are robberies and there are robberies. Robberies of items stupidly left on the beach while you take a swim- or in your car are one kind of robbery--- a robbery at knife or gun point is quite another thing -since the post is about mullet bay BEACH-- it does not sound like a snatch and run (which is also another type of robbery) my point IS-- please be specific in your post- or at least provide a link to the local paper where we can get more details---and be better informed as to what we should look for-- with no details--your post is counter-productive--chbpod

Posted by: lynn (199.231.28.---)
Date: July 12, 2006 07:50AM

HERE IS A COPY OF THE ARTICLE IN THE PAPER:
Holiday vows to put new gang of thugs behind bars

PHILIPSBURG/St. Maarten--Police Chief Commissioner of the Windward Islands Derrick Holiday says the recent spate of criminal activity, particularly in Mullet Bay, is probably the work of a new gang.

“It is a fact that crimes have occurred in this area and I can assure you that it has the attention of the St. Maarten police force. But make no mistake, this is the workings of a single group for the most part and we will do everything in our power to ensure that they are put behind bars,” Holiday said in an interview with The Daily Herald Tuesday.

Holiday said consideration was being given to putting a permanent daytime patrol unit in that area.

He said the recent criminal activity in the Mullet Bay area and in other parts of the Dutch side suggested that a new group of young men was operating on the island. This is based on investigations by his Detective Department.

He said the “Scary Movie” bandits who committed a series of crimes a few months ago had all been put behind bars. “As we have done in the past, we will catch these guys. We have a pretty good idea of what’s happening and it’s only a matter of time before they are behind bars,” said Holiday.

He said detectives had been able to complete every investigation of murder for this year, with the exception of French national Angélique Chauvire who was brutally murdered and left in the Dawn Beach Hill area. Her body was discovered on Friday, June 9. “We believe we are very close to solving this case as well, and it shows that the police officers are dedicated to solving crime,” said Holiday.

He noted though that while police had a proven track record for solving crimes, they weren’t able to predict the start of these kinds of robberies by groups or individuals. “Unfortunately we can’t detect that a group of people would suddenly decide to commit robberies, but when they act we will catch them as we have done in the past,” he said.

There were several reports over the last weekend of violent robberies in the Mullet Bay area, which resulted in a general call for greater police presence in that area. A couple was beaten and robbed at gunpoint, a woman was dragged several metres by bandits who stole her bag, and another woman chased after a man who stole her purse from the beach.

However, Holiday said there was no reason to believe the situation was in any way out of control. (Alfred Harley)

Posted by: biturbo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 12, 2006 05:22PM

Do you know where, exactly, in Mullet these crimes are being committed? This is an area that we drive through a number of times, it's pretty hard to avoid unless you circle the island.

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 12, 2006 07:47PM

biturbo,

When we were there in March there was an incident which took place just inside the Mullet property between what was the old Mullet Resort front desk area and Tiffany's little grocery store and the 19th hole, if you can picture all that. What started out as a purse snatching turned pretty ugly and the husband ended up badly beaten and with a blood clot in his leg. We met him at the pool one day and he and his wife told us what happenend to them in much detail including the reluctance of the island police to take their report. They, like us, are long time Towers owners but I doubt they'll ever return to SXM. This incident took place in the evening around 11 or 11:30 in the evening.

Some purse snatchings have occurred right in the Maho area between Royal Islander and the Mullet entrance but these were hoodlums on motor bikes/scooters.

And most recently I've read newspaper reports of incidents taking place in the Mullet Bay Beach parking area but I'm not certain if they actually meant there or across the golf course under the trees where people sometimes park to go to Mullet Beach.

It's a real heart-breaker that these things are happening anywhere on the island and rest assured, Mullet isn't the only place it's going on, but if you're just driving through the area at night you shouldn't have any problems.

pat

Re: saftey OYSTER POND
Posted by: annarchy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 07:38PM

re: OYSTER POND, ST MARTIN ---------------- BEWARE
its dark; not enough street lamp light; its about a mile from where Angelique Chauvire's body was found brutally raped & murdered last June 2006 (and still as of yet UNSOLVED!). there's a crime problem here with very young men on scooters working with each other (on foot) and from what i saw, NO police presence. police told me this personally! i'd been attacked and also witnessed the reluctance on their part NOT to take a report at the office of the gendarmerie (ie police)in quartier d'orleans). i was dragged by the "scooter-gentleman" while my partner was attacked at knifepoint by his "on-foot accomplice".

more about Angelique Chauvire:
[sxmprivateeye.com]
[sxmprivateeye.com]
[sxmprivateeye.com]

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |