- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: grocery/food prices in St. Maarten
Posted by: hod (65.55.67.---)
Date: May 03, 2011 11:11AM

well good for you...it will be a cold day in hell when i bring meats from home to cook. you are on vacation in sxm. support the many fine restaurants there. you can find many restaurants very very reasonable and the food is excellent. but carry all that extra baggage if you want.you might save $5.00

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: barbq (---.lightspeed.lgngca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2011 07:28PM

We just returned from the island a couple of days ago. We shopped at the Maho Market each day and found it very expensive. A bottle of Woodbridge wine (750 ml) was about $15.00, where you can buy it here in the grocery store for about $6.00. Where is the discounted wine??? Other than that, we had a fabulous time and I would recommend Cheri's Cafe in Maho and Ma Ti Beach Restaurant in Nettle Bay for wonderful food!

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2011 09:08AM

the Maho Market is more like a convenience store. you will not find the cheapest prices on the island there.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Irina Leibowitz (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 12:36PM

Woodbridge is a CA wine right?
Why make that comparison then? Buy French Wines while in SXM.

Posted by: barbq (---.lightspeed.lgngca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 03:49PM

I should clarify. I live in CA, so I guess Woodbridge is cheap here. I did not buy the Woodbridge, I'm just saying I thought in general that the wine prices were very high, and I keep reading posts that say alcohol is very inexpensive on the island.

Posted by: Island Cindy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 15, 2011 05:28PM

By "alcohol" they mean rum, vodka, gin, tequila, whiskey, etc. California wine would be imported and would be more expensive in SXM than in the USA.

Posted by: mikentara (---.153.5.158.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 16, 2011 11:25AM

You can find some great cheap French wines in SXM. Match & Grande Marche have very nice selections and sales!

Posted by: robbie (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 09:20PM

Does anybody know is the grocery store in maho across from royal islander sells baby food....gerber etc ? dont feel like bringing it for two babies

Posted by: Emily (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: June 18, 2011 10:52PM

I am going to St. Maarten in July with my family. Does anyone know if I am able to pack a cooler of meat in dry ice (packaged from a company) and carry it on the plane? Would there be any restrictions of food I bring as long as I don't bring in fresh fruits/veggies?

Posted by: dr doug (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 12:07PM

Emily,

You might want to check with your airline. The following is from IndependentTraveller.com:

Q. May I bring dry ice in my carry-on? What about my checked bags?

The FAA has strict regulations (PDF) about the transportation of dry ice on airplanes. Passengers may bring 2 kilograms in carry-on luggage or 2.3 kilograms in checked luggage as long as it's stored in a package that allows the venting of carbon dioxide gas. A DOT spokesperson suggests that travelers avoid packing dry ice in carry-on luggage, as individual TSA agents unfamiliar with DOT regulations may confiscate the substance.

Personally, I wouldn't bother bringing in food. There are good grocery stores, MATCH - French side and Le Grande Marche - Dutch near P'burg. Plus, it is possible to eat out all week as cheap or cheaper than the US, or one can blow a week's home budget in a day or two.

If you're bringing in stuff for the first night's meal until you get oriented and settled in, well maybe. We do bring in snacks / munchies.

To each their own.

Dr Doug

Pages: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |