gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: grocery/food prices in St. Maarten
Posted by: GaKaye (---.client.dsl.net)
Date: July 19, 2006 03:34PM

Pauline,

I had been thinking about bringing my own spices, but I read somewhere that you can get plenty of great spices at the market in Marigot. When you think about it that makes sense, after all Columbus was looking for the Spice Islands of the West Indies when he discovered America. Have you looked for the spices there, or am I mistaken?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 19, 2006 04:03PM

I lived there for several years. THE MEAT SELECTION IS FINE AND THE MEAT IS FINE!!! I am from NY and i tell you some of the finest Steaks i have eaten were in SXM!! RELAX!!! The island has everything you need soup to nuts and then some!! You are on vacation don't freeze and pack meat that's ridiculous!! Relax & enjoy
HAve a lovely time

Posted by: cher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 19, 2006 04:06PM

Plenty of spices to be had on the Island!! This Isalnd has eveything you need believe me!!! I survived for 6 years without longing for a thing and learned some new spices. Pack your suitacse and leave all food and spices behind!! Great spices on teh Dutch side as well.

Posted by: pasnyder (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2006 07:21PM

I really haven't looked for spices except for red pepper one year. That's when I said to myself, why didn't I just bring what I need with me. But your right, I should check the spices on the island.

Pauline

Posted by: Concerned (149.68.19.---)
Date: July 20, 2006 10:16AM

Yes, the spices are great. The markets in Marigot have all kinds. Bring the Zip Loc Bags for bringing them home.

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2006 10:17AM

Has anyone EVER noticed just where all these spices that are for sale at the Market in Marigot come from? I've noticed a lot of Tone spice jars plus McCormick that we buy at Sam's and/or Costco. I've seen the ladies filling up the little plastic bags with spices from these jars.

Annie

Posted by: tara (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: July 20, 2006 12:43PM

Yes, bring ziplocks! Paper products, wraps, baggies and the like are alot more expensive, especially if you want the same quality you are used to at home. I always bring those big colored plastic cups for my rum punches!

Posted by: GaKaye (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2006 09:15PM

annie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone EVER noticed just where all these
> spices that are for sale at the Market in Marigot
> come from? I've noticed a lot of Tone spice jars
> plus McCormick that we buy at Sam's and/or Costco.
> I've seen the ladies filling up the little
> plastic bags with spices from these jars.
>
> Annie

Too funny!

Posted by: islandgirl (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: July 20, 2006 09:30PM

I agree...even though you can get everything from soup to nuts on the island...if you're only going to be there for a week it can get very expensive buying all of the different spices you want to use for just a couple of times. I travel everywhere with black cracked pepper because alot of places only use the white pepper and I can't stand it. I also carry garlic powder and few others every time I go.

Posted by: Suzanne Carlucci (66.153.32.---)
Date: August 10, 2006 10:16AM

I am a coffee lover and need Coffeemate liquid-not low-fat but the real deal.
Can I buy it anywhere on the island?

Posted by: IrinaL (---.7.33.246.caribserve.net)
Date: August 11, 2006 10:01AM

I have been looking for it and haven't found any. Only the powder form of coffeemate. Hate it.
Cheers
irina

And yes I did look everywhere!!

Posted by: Loves2travel (12.192.137.---)
Date: October 28, 2008 09:55AM

We are going to be travelling to St. Maarten for two weeks this December for a Babymoon. We have been to St. Maarten many times and are familiar with the restaurants and grocery stores. I am a bit of a finicky eater and now more than ever are looking to eat right.

I struggle with vegetables and mostly stick to V8 and V8 soup to get my vegetables. I never paid attention if they have these on the island. Does anyone know if they do... and if not, am I allowed to bring into the country?

Thanks so much!

Posted by: mikentara (---.153.5.244.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: October 28, 2008 10:44AM

I love those french green beans (Haricot Vert). Available at US Imports and Grande Marche. We usually have salads if we eat in: Lettuce or Spinach, Onions, green peppers, good tomatoes if we can get them. Avocado. Oh and leeks, too.
That's our usual veggie shopping list.

Posted by: hofstetter (74.7.170.---)
Date: October 28, 2008 01:41PM

I also found the food prices a tab higher but not to worry. The quality is good and the price is not too bad. Also want to mention that tap water is fine and would not buy bottled water if you go out.

Posted by: mamaof2doxies (199.231.29.---)
Date: October 28, 2008 02:18PM

I don't know about the tap water...........last year I had a really bad experience drinking the tap water...............I will stay away from it this year........

Pages: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |