- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Thrifty Car Rental
Posted by: Mary (192.154.91.---)
Date: June 22, 2006 01:15PM

Has anyone used Thrifty Car Rental. Looking for positive or negative comments?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thrifty Car Rental
Posted by: LovSXM (216.206.81.---)
Date: June 22, 2006 02:09PM

I used them in December 2004. When I turned in the car they charged me an extra $45 to clean sand from the floorboard. Sand! Wonder how that got there?

Am leaving Saturday and using "Lesley E. Bruce" <bruce@sintmaarten.net> .

He runs/owns Kenney's Car Rental and gets excellant reviews.

He was a few dollars higher than rate I could have gotton from Thrifty ... but all the positive feedback from others convinced me it would be worth the extra $.

Date: June 22, 2006 03:09PM

Thank you. The villa rental agency I am using suggested I not go with the local car rental agencies on the island.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: June 22, 2006 03:50PM

If thats what they told you it was pathetic advice and would be enough to make me to consider anyother villa rental agency.

Posted by: LoxSxm (216.206.81.---)
Date: June 22, 2006 04:19PM

If you want to see more opinions go to www.traveltalkonline.com
Use the search feature;

You will see some good reviews of Thrifty but Kenny's, Unity and a couple of others get great reviews from folks that go to SXM on a regular basis.

Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 02:49AM

Mary Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you. The villa rental agency I am using
> suggested I not go with the local car rental
> agencies on the island.
>

They're all locally owned and operated, as far as I know. I think the "brand name" car rental agencies aren't corporate, they're franchise. So, it would have nothing to do with whether locals own the business. Did the villa rental agency happen to suggest a particular "brand name" car rental agency to use?

Ed

Date: June 23, 2006 09:09AM

The villa agency didn't give me any specific car rental names. The only problem I could see with using Kenny's would be the fact I am traveling with 5 couples and we need three cars.

Date: June 23, 2006 09:13AM

Guess then you should ask the agency who to use ... but I think it's hard to ignore fair, unbias feedback from folks that have been there many times. IMHO.

Date: June 23, 2006 09:17AM

Kenny's: just drop him an email and ask how they would handle this. My guess is he will have you in and out faster than the "nationals". Please note that none the rentals have cars park directly at the airport ... you have to "shuttled" regardless of who you use. We arrive tomarrow ... and I am sure I won't be the only on our flight using Kenny's ... the flights tend to come in and depart in "bunches" so getting in and out can be a little conjested and time consuming ...

Posted by: Eben Cooke (---.com)
Date: August 07, 2006 12:56PM

Whatever you do, avoid the Alamo / National car rental office ("Paradise")! They attempted to rip us off with an extra $1500 tacked onto the credit card bill.

Posted by: lynn (199.231.28.---)
Date: August 08, 2006 01:51PM

We used thrify in July for two weeks. They were great! They are next to the airport. We have used a few other places in the past 15 years, but thrifty seems to be the best. No problem mon....

Posted by: Karin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 08, 2006 10:02PM

I used Thrify last year and plan on using them again this year.. Sure, the car had dents.. almost every car on the island does.. so.. it's not a fashion statement.. i'll survive.. i did have a few issues with the car last year, but brought it back, it was addressed, and i was giving a new car.. no problem at all..

Karin.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 08, 2006 11:02PM

Thrifty...every year since 1999. A +++. We DON"T need to be met in the
airport parking lot nor dropped off there. To save 50 to 100 USD, we don't mind a 2 minute van ride. And no, I don't work for Thrifty. cheers, spike

Posted by: Lenon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 18, 2006 05:43PM

We've used Thrifty 6 times in the last two years on SXM. The cars are ok. Not too many dents. And they have always treated us right. One other rental place (Payless) put an extra $500 on our credit card that finally disappeared. Payless had better cars, but we are going back to Thrifty this week when we return. I've never had a billing problem with them. Just make sure the brakes are not tooo squeeky before you leave.

Posted by: luv-it-there (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2006 03:56PM

Lenon ,spike1952 ,Karin, lynn: Agree with all of you. Going in 3 weeks. Have a compact ATOS,$281.00 for 15 days. Never had a problem with them. Knock on wood.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |