The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Sunterra Flamingo Beach Resort
Posted by: mocahantas (---.cesengineers.com)
Date: June 21, 2006 03:41PM

Hello All!
I am planning a trip to the island in September (I know, i have trip insurance) and couldn't be more excited. I traded through RCI and got the Sunterra Resort. I haven't found much info on the resort. Has anyone been there? Can you give me some details/insight on the property? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sunterra Flamingo Beach Resort
Posted by: Robert H (---.sip.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 21, 2006 03:55PM

Have stayed there several times. The last was 4 or so years ago.
We had a studio right on the beach with a wonderful view. There was a nice beach bar there and it is very convienent to everywhere around the island.
The past 2 time I visited the Island was in Sept. and Oct. with no trouble with weather... did however always have the trip insurance.

Date: June 21, 2006 03:58PM

Thanks Robert!

Posted by: Bkos (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 25, 2006 11:40AM

We own at the resort and have been going for over 10 years. Just a heads up when they assign the room. Don't take one in rear of building that overlooks the parking lot. they should be able to find something ocean or garden view.many of the rooms have just been updated and easy to everything.
BK

Posted by: jmasons (---.cros.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 10:05AM

it is a very nice resort we owned there for several years / decided to sell the unit but have been back several times since / the only problem we have encountered was the room assignment / if you don't own there it seems like they will always attempt to give you parking lot view which amounts to no more than an over sized red roof inn room / stand your ground and they will attempt to find a beach view for you which is fantastic / it may take a day or two but stay after them and enjoy your trip

Date: June 27, 2006 11:41AM

Thanks for the tips!

Posted by: Jennifer Patterson (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 05, 2006 12:45PM

We are considering staying there as an RCI exchange for Aug 6th-13th. They say there is construction going on...anyone know how it affects your stay? I've never been to Sint Maarten, any pointers on the area? Rent a car or use a taxi? How is their other location - they say there is a free shuttle between resorts. How is the SCUBA? Snorkeling - they say you there is free snorkel equipment - can you go right outside the resort? How's the fishing? I saw something about a zip line - where is it located?

Thanks for any help I can get ;-)

Posted by: Dean (---.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net)
Date: July 06, 2006 10:08AM

I haven't stayed there in years but own at a nearby property, also run by Sunterra, called Royal Palm. I thin that the construction at Flamingo isn't nearly as bad as Pelican, which is also nearby and even the Royal Palm. If you want to really see the island and are activity driven, you will need a car because taxis are too expensive to use several times a day for 7 days. A car should cost (without taxes and fuel use) around $150-220 in low season (through Dec. 15). Snorkling isn't very good at Flamingo's beach but within walking distance (3-5 minutes), you can go to Pelican marina and go on an all day snorkling cruise for $80- 85 per person (you can get discount coupons at luggage area of airport and there is a business that offers discounts on activities in the Simpson Bay area). If you have a mask, I would bring it but use the fins offered (they do have masks but having amask that fits is imortant). If you want a nice, well respected resturant next to Flamingos is a resort called "La Vista" which has a resturant called The Hideaway. Give it a try. Flamingo is a very nice, family type of resort so don't worry about your lodgings.

Posted by: AdventureMom (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2006 04:16PM

I didn't get the trip insurance...should I...I never have before, but then I've never traveled to St. Maarten either....

Date: July 10, 2006 03:51PM

I would get the insurance. In 2003 I was going to my timeshare in Freeport, Grand Bahamas. The island was flooded by a hurricane two weeks before I was supposed to arrive and everything shut down. Thankfully I had not gotten the plane tickets (I am a last minute type of person). Try insuremytrip.com

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |