- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
grocery stores -Dutch side
Posted by: Michael P. (---.pfizer.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 10:34AM

Could someone give me some feedback or suggestions on the quality/availabilty/ of the grocery stores Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: grocery stores -Dutch side
Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 12:02PM

"The Dutch Side" covers a lot of space and I dont know where your staying but there are very good groceries all over the island both French and Dutch. We like LeGrandeMarche at the rotary on the way to town. It has everything you could want and more but theres also the Lido market at Maho LeTerrace which has a good deli and bakery and meat department plus all the other items on a smaller scale and then lastly theres Sangs just off Front St. in town and they to have about everything you want. And then theres lots of smaller places like the local corner stores at home And then theres several very good places on the French Side but since you asked about Dutch we'll leave it there.

Date: June 14, 2006 03:32PM

Wow ANON...thats great. I really appreciate you sharing that with me. We are staying in a villa off of Dawn Beach. I really enjoy cooking and like to get a heads up on what is available. I have never been to St. Maarten.
We have shipped food such as steaks, some seafood, etc. in the past to Islands that allow you to ship to such as St. Thomas (U.S Virgin) It was made easy. Their meats and seafood surprisingly were awful and we were glad that we shipped stuff. Anyway..thanks again for your feedback.

By the way...you wouldn't know if the customs department is easy about us bringing stuff in or not do you? I have read some of the other comments on this site and from what I gather, it seems as though a lot of other folks have brought stuff in. Just wondering.....

Date: June 14, 2006 04:21PM

As long as its legal with the TSA folk and the airline folk you can brign any kind of meat and food you want to bring but you gotta know, most everythings pretty easy to get on the island and high quality to. You have to wonder if its really worth bringing a lot of stuff from home unless its like lasagne or meatballs and gravy or something like that. The meat is good and reasonable and easy access all over the island for good stuff.

Posted by: Clark (---.arc9.atlnga1.dasdial.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 10:40PM

Customs in SXM?-- what is that?-- you go through immigration get your passport stamped and then pick up your bags at the carousel-- then go to pick up a cab or your rental car--there is no customs------ that being said--- do not pack food (especially non-frozen) in your checked in luggage-----you never know for sure that your luggage will be there when you are---I heard the tale of a couple who packed frozen steaks in their check in----luggage was lost-- when they got it back????? rancid and all the clothes were ruined---from what I have read on these boards--- hit the supermarkets there---prices are NOT whacky--chbpod

Date: June 15, 2006 07:56AM

Thanks for the info Clark...Yea, I would never do the perishables in the luggage thing. No way....I'm glad to know that the grocery stores are good. I just want to be able to get good quality staeks & fish. I'm also a believer in trying to support the local economy when it's possible. From all the feedback, I think I'll be doing that!!

Someone had suggested in another message to go to the flea market in Marigot early on Wednesday morning to get good quality fresh fish. Do you know if that's true or is there another place to obtain fresh seafood from the locals? Again I like to support the locals, especially the fishermen whenever I can.

Date: June 15, 2006 08:25AM

Marigot marketplace is the best bet for the freshest fish straight from the fisherman but you gotta get there very early to have a choice selection.

Date: June 15, 2006 09:40AM

Thanks ANON...Early is good with me! I am a retired commercial fisherman, what would you think as being early enough for the best pick?

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 15, 2006 01:31PM

message from irina:

Hi Michael P.

Early means about 6am-6:30.
There is also a fish market in Simpson Bay, near the bridge to Isle de Sol.
Early there also.
There are good meats on the island and lots of stuff you can't find in the US so shopping here is fun for a chef.
There is also a little gourmet grocer in Marigot on Rue Anguille that I like to go to. They have meats there (great veal) and a fantastic selection of cheeses.
Interesting condiments there also.
Cheers
irina

Date: June 15, 2006 01:59PM

Hello Irina....Thank you so much for your great info! I will be sure to be there early. I love that!! Bring the guys some coffee & what not! Do you know if this is available everyday or just on wednesdays when thay have the flea market?

I look forward to hearing back from you........Michael

Posted by: IrinaL (---.7.33.246.caribserve.net)
Date: June 15, 2006 03:54PM

Gee, I don't know what days the market is open in Simpson Bay. I can find out and get back to you on that.
cheers
irina

Posted by: Michael P. (---.182.125.108.adsl.snet.net)
Date: June 15, 2006 10:56PM

Hello Irina...Thanks aagain. I was actually wondering about the Marigot flea market. That was the one that someone had mentioned earlier to go to. Also...did you say that the fish are available everyday at the docks in Marigot? I really appreciate your feedback. This site is really cool. I really look forward to getting back responses so thank you again. ~Michael

Posted by: LovSXm (216.206.81.---)
Date: June 16, 2006 10:41AM

Marigot flea market ... open every day ... but will be most busy T-W-T due to crisue ships ... am told you can get same stuff at Rima's in Phillipsburg for much less $$

Date: June 16, 2006 11:09AM

Thanks for the info LovSXM.....what I've been trying to find out recently is the best time and location to purchase fresh seafood from the boats that come in. You mentioned Rima's..is that a market or fish purchasing location?

As you can se from all of my messages...I'm really looking forward to my visit to SXM for the first time. I love to cook and I love fresh product!! I will pad the pocket of those that supply me as well. Fresh, Fresh, Fresh!!

Anyway...thnaks again for the info. This page is great! ~Michael

P.S. what time does the Marigot market open?

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2006 11:17AM

Rima's is for beach wear.. has nothing to do with food.
the market in marigot has fish,produce,fruits, and vendors that sell souvenirs.
In order to get your choice of seafood, you should be there aroiund 7 am....at the latest, be there at 8 AM..otherwise, almost everything is gone.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |