The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Renting Car with Debit Card
Posted by: anon traveler (---.ppv.org)
Date: May 31, 2006 01:17PM

hi,

ive been reading through posts...new and old and thank you all for your information and tips. very very helpful...am taking a trip to st maarten in june.

I am staying at the Pelican and am looking forward to a vacation of spending most of my time on the beach, eating jerk chicken from outdoor carts/grills and havin cocktails...of course a little shopping too...I would like to see some of the beaches on the french side of the island and it seems everyone recommends renting a car...
(it never occured to me)...i would like my trip to be cost efficient so am considering it...but just remembered ...most rental places require a CC.

2 questions:
does the pelican have a shuttle that goes to some of the beaches? they mention a 'beach tour' but do not specify on what that is...

Do any of you recommend a car rental place that will allow me to rent with my visa-debit card?
any info is appreciated, thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Renting Car with Debit Card
Posted by: Dean (---.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net)
Date: June 15, 2006 05:57PM

I just rented a car from National car rental (in Ireland) with a debit card, with no problems. The Pelican has no "shuttle busses" and the tour that you mention is by an independant operator.

Posted by: LovSXM (216.206.81.---)
Date: June 16, 2006 10:37AM

Using a major CREDIT card (MasterCard/Visa) will normally provide CDW coverage on you car rental. Check with with card issuer. Not sure, but I doubt you debit card provides that protection. Your US insurance does NOT provide CDW coverage outside the USA. Do not rent without CDW coverage ... either use a card that gives you coverage or purchase the option from the rental. And purchase the optional liability option for sure.

Driving in SXM is an experience in itself ... be sure you are INSURED!

Posted by: Dean (---.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net)
Date: June 17, 2006 07:47AM

Even if you have CDW coverage through a credit card, it provides no liability for damage to other cars or property. That, you should accept the car rental's coverage, or go to a third party insurance company, like travelguard.com.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |