The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Santino royal Dolphin Swim
Posted by: Chrissy (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: May 31, 2006 12:05AM

Has anyone done the Santino Royal Dolphin Swim? And is it worthwhile. Our kids are 19 and 21. We are arriving on a cruise line and only spending the day in St. Marteen. Thanks for any input...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Santino royal Dolphin Swim
Posted by: Augie (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 31, 2006 09:23AM

Please read [www.wspa-usa.org].

Augie;

I am an agnostic dyslexic who questions if there really is a dog.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2006 09:41AM

Are you talking about the dolphin swim in Anguilla? There is no dolphin swim in St. Maarten.
Please before you decide to do a dolphin swim, do some research. We all have a dream to swim with dolphins but most dolphin programs are terrible. They are only interested in profit and don't give the best care to the animals.
It is a known fact that dolphins in captivity do not live as long as they do in the wild.
[www.hsus.org]

Posted by: Chrissy (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: May 31, 2006 07:18PM

Thank you so much for your input. I never even thought about the affect on the dolphins. that answers that. No swimming with dolphins. We will find something to do, and yes, I did mean Anguilla (not St. Martin).

Date: May 31, 2006 08:15PM

Here is one idea [www.12metrechallenge.com] St. Maarten is one of the few places one can do this.It is offered on most cruses docking in SXM.
Thank-you for taking the time to read and deciding not to do the Dolphin swim.

Augie;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2006 08:17PM by Augie.

Posted by: Governor (---.mercermc.com)
Date: June 01, 2006 09:40AM

Babs,

I think it depends upon the organization hosting the website as to whether the information about dolphins living longer in the wild slants one way or another. Check out [www.seorf.ohiou.edu]

Date: June 01, 2006 10:37AM

thanks for the link. I guess there are differing opinions on the life span in the wild versus captivity.

Date: June 01, 2006 01:49PM

Gov, does this look like someone with real knowledge of dolphins;
"Macyn's Dolphin Page
Macyn's Dolphin Page. I am making this web page from the wonderful program of Governors Scholars. I am attending in the area of computors and one of our projects are making a web page.www.seorf.ohiou.edu/~ag151 - 2k - Cached - More from this site - Save"

Augie;

Posted by: Governor (---.mercermc.com)
Date: June 01, 2006 03:08PM

Augie Doggie,

Seems to me that they would have as much credibility as the Humane Society. You couldn't possibly suppose they may be slanted one way or another would you?
Gov

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 01, 2006 05:52PM

Chrissy,

Personally, I think you've made a very good choice. If you've ever had the absolute privilige of seeing the dolphins free and in their natural environment as opposed to in a somewhat slimy green tank, you'll understand why so many of us are anti-dolphinariums. I had this pleasure once on St. Maarten and once in Florida at Anna Maria Island. Having seen them playing at their leisure, there's no way those beautiful animals should be hunted and captured for the benefit of someone's wallet.

As for other options on St. Maarten, you could do the 12 metre racing boats which are awesome; the rhinoride which has the same reputation; rent jet skiis or try some parasailing if the wind conditions are in your favor. There are so many terrific things to do, trust me, you'll never miss the dolphins.

pat

Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 02, 2006 11:52AM

"Animal Rights" activists have broght on a situation where there are now too many wild animals in close proximity to people; and some dangerous (the animals) ones at that. Everyday there are reports in the news about people being attacked and mauled by animals in heavily populated areas.

I'd be more concerned about the above situation than kept dolphins that are no more put upon than the average pet. Afterall, dogs, cats, all animals, come from a background of "living free", but you don't see them running away from free room and board, (no more hunting and natural predators to worry about) do you?

If all the "swim with the dolphins" businesses cared about is profit (which is an irresponsible assertion to make without proof), then it would make more sense to assume that the dolphins are very well cared for, than the other way around. The businesses would be protecting their investment.

Go ahead and enjoy your day with the dolphins, they always seem to enjoy people.

Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2006 11:55AM by Ed (nine510).

Date: June 02, 2006 03:00PM

Ed wrote;""Animal Rights" activists have broght on a situation where there are now too many wild animals in close proximity to people; and some dangerous (the animals) ones at that. Everyday there are reports in the news about people being attacked and mauled by animals in heavily populated areas."

Ed, you are correct!

Augie;

Date: June 02, 2006 04:13PM

Augie, what do you think animal rights activists have to do with that?
It seems to me that the real cause of this problem is over expansion by humans.. ...building, developing, and encroaching into wild animals territories.. so that their homes are threatened and dstroyed. This is certianly the case with many of the endangered species of the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2006 06:06PM by Barbara1.

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 02, 2006 08:04PM

Personally, I'm more inclined to believe the large numbers of wild animals living in close proximity to humans today has more to do with overbuilding of what once was open spaces where these animals roamed coupled with with the belief that selective thinning of herds is a bad thing and lastly, the anti-NRA issues that prevail today. But these are just my personal beliefs.

And while we do have an on-going issue with the huge deer population that seems to devour the plants and shrubs in my yard, we don't have many cases of wild animal attacks here in CT. so I can't argue the fact either way. Although, now that I think about it, we did have a lovesick moose that wandered into CT and was trying to carry on a torrid affair with a local cow......but I'm not too sure that qualifies.

I still believe, however, you only have to see the dolphins free and at play just once in a lifetime to know in the deepest part of your heart, that to pen them in slimy tanks just isn't the right thing to do. Again, purely my personal belief and obviously, everyone is entitled to their own on this particular subject.

pat

Posted by: Doc (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2006 10:41AM

Funny you mention it, but the nightly news does seem saturated with attacks by those dangerous dolphins. Good thing the cruise ship industry is committed to confining dolphins to tanks for the safety of humanity. Although, I am forced to wonder if a dolphinarium is really any different from our own Sea World.

It's interesting to look at many countries in Africa where people and truly dangerous animals naturally coexist in close proximity, with few, if any attacks. This is the case even now that many govenments and tribes have realized the value of the animals to their economies and have worked against poaching/sport killing.

Overcrowding and urban sprawl are certainly key issues in the US. I live 3 miles from the White House, yet see coyotes and fox (on a daily basis) that have been pushed closer to highways, schools, and strip malls by over-development.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |