The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Orient Beach questions?
Posted by: zeke (---.obg.com)
Date: May 23, 2006 09:11AM

Hi all - my wife and I are taking a cruise this august and we hit st. martin for one day stop. FYI - we always take land based trips when on our own, but this is big family reunion type thing, so please don't bash me for being dreaded cruise ship traveler, or only a little if you need to...ha, ha...

Nevertheless, we plan to camp out in front of Bikini Beach Bar for the day (as in my wife and I - rest of family can do what they want - wife's side anyway), as I understand that's cool place to chill, drink, relax, etc. Wonder if I can get some insight for first timers to SXM?

- no problem catching taxi from ship to orient? about how much?
- about how much are chairs, umbrellas to rent? I assume can rent right at bikini beach?
- cash and credit card OK? or do I need travelers checks?
- ok to "hide" camera under beach chairs when we stroll the beach, or would it get nabbed?
- can we get decent "french cuisine" at beach places? i'm only wearing my suit and shirt from ship, so I plan to stay near beach. what's the tipping process?
- for 1st timers (of course only day-tripper), any must do's, dont's? like island specialty drinks, happy hours, music on orient beach?

My idea of a great time will be sitting in the sand all day doing nothing, and I'm sure I'll have great time doing just that!

cheers
zeke

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Orient Beach questions?
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 23, 2006 10:24AM

Zeke
If you don't get an answer here, try posting on TTOL st. maarten forum.
most of the people over there frequent Orient beach.
[www.traveltalkonline.com]

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: May 23, 2006 11:07AM

Uh, I think its already on TTOL and most questions already got answered. Dont get caught with a camera on Orient Beach is a good suggestion. People start getting real nervous. Cash is best cause you get better prices sometimes and ccs may get zinged with extra charges for conversions. If your gonna have travelt checks make sure you got smaller amounts cause they may not like hundred dollar checks at most beach places. Hope your family enjoys naked and topless cause its the predominant beach attire there.

Posted by: zeke (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2006 01:31PM

Hi - got some questions answered over at TTOL, but not all, like cash vs credit card - thanks for that info. Camera question was about whether good idea to bring a "valuable" to beach or not, and for only taking pics of us at beach, nothing to do with nudity.

Having to been to many islands, we're used to topless and that's cool. We just want to go to a fun beach to relax for the day. I mean, if I keep my suit on and my wife wears a bikini, is that OK, or will people look at us like why are we there and not over at St. Maarten side?

thanks
zeke

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: May 23, 2006 03:20PM

The beach there is clothing optional so you can wear your winter longjons if it makes you happy. Anything goes there dresswise or undresswise. The camera still could be a problem on Orient. You will probly see a lot of walkers up and down the beach at diffrent times of day and cameras just arent popular at all unless its early morn or late evening but hey, give it a shot. If its a cheapie disposal camera you don't have much to lose.

Posted by: zeke (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 23, 2006 05:14PM

We don't even need the camera, I'd rather have nothing with me except suit, shirt, shoes and $$.

thanks
z

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 02, 2006 06:24AM

Zeke,
I wouldn't worry about your camera on that section of Orient. Just use good judgement in photo ops. The only designated area of nudity is Club O section which is a little walk from Bikini. Bikini is a good choice for hanging out.
Nice little restaurant (not French, though ), bar, music and walking to a few shops. Good choice for a group! Wouldn't leave $$$ anywhere other than on body.....and that goes for anywhere. If you leave some belongings behind just ask someone nearby to keep a good eye on them for you. You could reward them with a drink! Can't hurt! ;-)
Go and enjoy!!
Phyllis

Posted by: George (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: November 03, 2011 12:55PM

I would strongly advise using any credit cards and taking your camera. Anything of value ought to be locked up in your hotel room

find cheap flights | find cheap airline tickets | cheap air travel tips | cheap flight search | free flash games | free online games | converting to islam | convert to islam

Posted by: tom2 (65.55.67.---)
Date: November 03, 2011 02:27PM

george
i dont believe there is any establishment for food on the beach that takes credit cards, only cash. there possibly could be but most every place i have ever visited does not take credit cards.

Posted by: contessa (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2011 04:47PM

You haven't mentioned whether you've been there before but here's my take.....
If you're taking a taxi from the cruiseship your taxi will pick you up on the return. Sorry I don't know the cost. But, my suggestion would be to go to Palm Beach and spend the day. It's got it all, except it's a little further down the beach. It's beautiful, classy and has fantastic French cuisine. If you eat there the chairs are free....and I use the word chairs loosely...they're big cushioned lounges! They have music, great drinks and just the nicest place on the beach. And I'm sure if you wanted to take a walk the bartendar would hold your camera for you...however, this beach is unique and I'd be taking lots of pictures.
www.palmbeachsxm.net And, no, I don't own the place I just love it and think it's a great place to spend the day!
Good Luck!

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: ANON (12.9.88.---)
Date: November 11, 2011 08:16AM

I thought picture taking on Orien Beach was a big nono. Did I get that wrong.

Posted by: jack (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 11, 2011 01:22PM

No people on Orient you would want to take a picture of, quite frankly.

Posted by: aber (65.55.67.---)
Date: November 11, 2011 04:12PM

jack i guess you havent been on orient beach or you wouldnt make that statement.

Posted by: contessa (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2011 08:05AM

I guess none of us realized that the original posting was from 2006! Geesh, so much for reading carefully! LOL!!

smileys with beer Contessa

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |