The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: Sapphire Beach Club
Posted by: gracesgrammie (---.buckeyecom.net)
Date: September 18, 2007 09:09PM

Anyone been there in the last month or so who can confirm that the SA $$$ has actually been used for improvements. We wouldn't hesitate to pay the SA if the money is going to improvements and not into someone's pocket.

We would love to hear from someone who's been there recently.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SXMaholic (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 19, 2007 07:43AM

Did you get the Sapphire Newsletter telling you of all the wonderful things they have and are doing? They also are politely asking those who did not pay the SA to do so so they can continue with all the upgrades,etc. You can also personally write to Mr Olliver of any concerns or questions you may have. Of course he doesn't leave you his e-mail address and if you do find it, odds are he will not answer you. We did NOT pay the SA and are in the litigation group that is fighting this ridiculous fee.
We will be going in Dec for 2 wks and we'll see first hand all the 'upgrades' that they say they've done or are doing.

-Gloria

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a 'true' friend will be sitting next to you saying...'damn that was fun'!

Posted by: Dr Joe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 22, 2007 09:53AM

I too have joined the lawsuit, but have also paid my SA. I'm encouraged by the recent court procedings, but realize the courts also run on island time so I'm not anticipating a quick resolution to this case.

I thought the pictures enclosed with the newsletter were interesting in that they really showed nothing in the way of improvements to the units and villas, the security cameras and bank of video recorders were nice, but I don't sleep on them!

We'll be there in 3 weeks for 2 weeks and hope the resort is in reasonably good shape. I am really looking forward to returning to our favorite spot anywhere.

Posted by: SRay (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2007 09:55AM

I've stayed at Sapphire numerous times as an exchange......I haven't stayed there anymore once I was bite by a bed-bug..........In addition to that, I found the jacuzzis were never clean and had a ring around the side of scum. In fact scum is always floating around the jacuzzi. On 2 seperate visits the elevators did not work............and the shower thing I will NEVER get use to. They really need a curtin. Gated parking..........please.....you have to catch it just right to get a parking spot.

I've stayed,potentially,at every resort on the Dutch Side.......I will NOT tell my favorites because I am selfish........but ONLY if I am desperate will I stay at Sapphire, LaVista ( the 1st one ) Flamingo and Pelican.

Posted by: Bob in Etna (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2007 08:39PM

Just got back from a week at Sapphire. Our unit is a 1 BR deluxe (ocean and lagoon views). Unit was spotless with basic maid service daily (pick up garbage, fresh towels, cleaning dishes, etc). The restaurant was closed because of low season (first time in 12 years). However, the bar was open 10 AM to 5 PM (?)--when most residents are away from Sapphire. Staff was friendly and responded quickly to fixing the in-room safe.

I've parked in the gated parking area and found it to be OK. This year I always found a spot right in the front (low season).

The mini-mart tends to be pricey but in a pinch... There's a new place at the top of the hill on the way to Atlantis but I didn't stop in. I like the Food Express at Maho or Le Gourmet Marche in Simpson Bay.

Ants--never saw any. I usually purchase a can of mosquito spray on arrival but never needed it this year. The jacussi was crystal clear and running on arrival. It's not a big issue with me, I just have a "thing" about not using it because of the chlorine.

We have always liked the Sapphire and regretted when it went into a decline. Seeing it coming back is a real pleasure.

Date: October 07, 2007 08:01AM

Great to hear that it's starting to come back upt to par. We'll be there for 2 wks in Dec and are quite curious to see for ourselves what's going on.
We never really had any problems with the Sapphire. They responded quickly (island time) to any maintenance problems we encountered and the rooms,jacuzzi, plunge pool (villa) were always clean. Staff mostly friendly. We tip the maids in advance and we get great service during our stay.

-Gloria

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a 'true' friend will be sitting next to you saying...'damn that was fun'!

Posted by: delorget (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2007 02:17PM

Leaving Sunday with Dr Joe and our wives for two weeks. Glad to hear Bob & Edna had some positive feedback on their visit. We spend a week in tower #3 and a week in a villa, so I'll be sure to post our opinions upon our return. Counting the days...

Posted by: phil pedraza (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2007 07:36PM

Just got back from Sapphire yesterday. We owned 2 weeks for 10 years and just sold them both back to Sapphire. John ripped us off on our weeks. He took the SA fees off the top, and didn't give us the fair value price for the units either, but we just wanted out. Sapphire has rude people working there at the front desk, bar, & supermarket. It was kept cleaner this year but everything is getting run down. They built a beautiful resort and just let it go. I don't know where the SA fees went because I didn't notice anything new except the furniture in the lobby. I am so relieved we are done with this place. When we checked out they didn't even say Hope you enjoyed your stay! They could care less!!

Date: November 19, 2007 06:07AM

How did you sell them back? We've been trying for a few years. Patrick (Sales Manager) tells us they don't buy back. We've given them a small fee to sell our weeks...going on a few years and not one bite. Interesting.
Remember the new furniture, etc is coming on the boat from Indonesia....taking the scenic route for the past few years! Were you a part of the Sapphire litigation? It was my understanding that the SA fees should not have been deducted. The courts and Sapphire agreed they can't request the SA until the courts ruled either way!

-Gloria

Posted by: sgreisman (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2008 07:01PM

Anyone visited the Saphire Beach recently?
Please let me know because we are planning a trip in February.
Thanks.

Date: January 14, 2008 09:00AM

We were at the Sapphire 12/8-20. The first week was at our Villa and the second week was in our Unit 361. Overall, the place looks good. New furniture in the lobby....nice but uncomfortable and not inviting. The grounds were green and maintained. The Villa (13) was clean...they redid the tile around the plunge pool to a non-slip type, much better. Pool was clean. Same old furniture with new cushions; old lamps which needed new lampshades desperately. Appliances, TVs same as before...no upgrades. New wood walkway outside nice but very slippery when wet.
Unit 361 was clean. Same old furniture with new cushions that did not match; old lamps with tattered/worn lampshades. Same appliances/tvs. Haven't seen any flat screen TVs.
Any problems we encountered (broken AC, locked safe) were taken care of within a short time of notifying them. Front desk was pleasant. Pool area lacked working umbrellas and lounges were the hard PVC and very uncomfortable. The few 'strap' lounges were taken quickly. The bar area needs to be upgraded. It's showing it's age. The exterior of buildings in genereral need to be cleaned/painted.
The building and traffic on the island is horrendous.

Date: January 14, 2008 12:16PM

Hi,
Thanks for your input.
Is unit 361 in the old or new tower?
We have 5 weeks in the new tower. Last year's visit was a disaster.
Our unit was filled with tiny ants, broken lamps, filthy pillows, etc.
These problems were not resolved during our 2 week stay although we complained repeatedly to a very unfriendly staff.
In the past the front desk was friendly, inviting, and did repair minor issues at our request.
Thanks for the information.

Date: January 14, 2008 04:16PM

Unit 361 is in the new building 3. We didn't have any tiny ants in either the Villa or the Unit and we did notice ant traps discreetly placed in the kitchens. Both were clean when we arrived.
Reference: Unit 3 (Bldg #) 6 (flr) 1 (room)

Date: January 14, 2008 05:26PM

Thanks again for your feedback.

Posted by: Elaine M (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 12:03AM

My husband and I just returned from Sapphire Beach...are unit was disgusting,
filthy and loaded with roaches...the building is a mess...and nothing is being
done about it...when I asked the manager if he was the manager he didn't want to
acknowledge who he was...we had to move 4 time in 7 days...and ended up in less
than we own...and that was a mess...the manager lied to us several times...I don't know who we can talk to about this mess...no one seems to care...the manager
sits at the bar and has a beer at 9:30 a.m. and is there at the end of the day..
if you try to talk to him he says he's busy..

Pages: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |