- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
thrifty car rental
Posted by: jmasons (---.cros.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 09:04AM

can anyone tell me how far the thrifty car rental is from the airport and do they have a shuttle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thrifty car rental
Posted by: Gene (---.att.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 09:39AM

Yes, they have a shuttle and it's two minutes from apt.

Posted by: spike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 04:44PM

We use Thrifty every year. Shuttle picks up renters every 10 minutes or so just across the driveway outside the baggage area. Maybe a 1 mle drive from the airport to the office. We rent an ATOS every year for around $125 a week (week 49...usually the first week in December). The ATOS is the perfect small and skinny car to park in spots few others can maneuver into !!!! Cars are always clean and well maintained...usually under 1000 miles...thus reliable...which is key to us as we are out most every night. The folks are quite friendly and willing to get you on your way...out the door...on arrival day. AFter a long travel day...I HATE lines !!! There never has been one with Thrifty. You will not get "personally" picked up at the airport which many enjoy...a service you get with many of the local companies. I personally don't mind loading in a van with other vacationers to save a few bucks on a week's rental. I use orbitz.com to make the reservation...always works perfectly. n Good luck.....and no, I'm not a sales rep. for Thrifty...just a satisfied customer.

Posted by: jmasons (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 06:03PM

thanks for the info were headed down next month / have rented cars there from other companies (not so impressed) / time to give thrifty a try !!

Posted by: Az Guy (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 10:50AM

Have you tried any of the local companies?
I have recieved fantastic service. You will be met with a sign with your name and taken to the off site location to get your car. Most of the companies will already have the paper work done - just sign and drive. We also were fed up with Avis & Budget on the island and were pleasantly surprised when we tried Michael at Unity for our rental car. But ty this site for a wide selection.

[www.sxm-cars.com]

~~ Once you've slept on an island, you'll never be the same ~~
2008 St Maarten Pics

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 11:17AM

A to Z Guy, ooops I just put this on the wrong post so I'll do it again here.
There was a big hoopdedoo on another talk board about this company -sxmcars. Why not rent direct and save yourself the problems. I use bruce@sintmaarten.net but hes just one of a lot of good local guys and he'll bring your car to the apt so you drive away to your hotel in it. That would be Leslie Bruce of Kennys Car Rentals. Cant beat the service or usually the price. You might want to go to a bunch of the guys on that other sight but just get quotes from there e-mails and make the choice.

Posted by: annie (---.frtprk01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 12:08PM

I second using Lesley Bruce of Kennys. He meets you at the airport with the car...do the paper work in the parking lot and then you on your way. We have used him for years and will be doing so again in April.

Annie

Posted by: Az Guy (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 09:57AM

ANON,
You are exactly correct.
I would not book through this web site. Use it to reference the local companies and then book direct.

~~ Once you've slept on an island, you'll never be the same ~~
2008 St Maarten Pics

Posted by: candu (---.psc-cfp.gc.ca)
Date: January 13, 2006 02:16PM

Book your rental through Thrifty's main site and it will be cheaper than dealing directly with Thrifty in St Maarten.

Posted by: SXMCS (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 17, 2006 11:42PM

Used them for last 5 years everything perfect...price ...service and cars...joined their "Blue Chip Membership" and as a result now use in the US as well...They have really expanded in SXM last few years....You will LOVE SXM this our 12th year!

Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 12:43PM

Dose Thrifty's "Blue Chip" apply in SXM? I.e., is the paperwork all made out when you arrive, and you just have to sign?

How about 10% discount rate codes like "WMRT", coupons, coupon upgrades, etc.?

Do they credit FF miles for the rental?

With a Thrifty reservation for SXM, can you check the Thrifty website, and rebook if the rates fluctuated down?

I always assumed that the U.S. car rental agency programs, and discounts didn't apply to SXM franchises, maybe not.

Ed

Date: January 18, 2006 12:58PM

Nevermind, I just called Thrifty. They operate independently in SXM, as I thought they did. None of the above apply.

Ed

Posted by: spike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 09:48PM

For info. and prices access www.thriftystmaarten.com or e-mail thrifty@uts-caribbean.com. Again...orbitz.com works wonderfully well for me.

Ed...FYI...for using Thrifty on SXM they gave me a "discount card" which we've used now and then...here and there on the island. Some of the deals on the card are a $50 match play...10% off at Tri-Sport...various discounts at Trident Jewelers...10% discount at Hot Tomatos...25% discount at the Towers bar and pool side grill...massage @ "Health and Well Being" (???) at 15% off...and a few others. Haven't taken adantage of many of these "comps" but there's a bit more to Thrifty than just their low prices, good and reliable cars and friendly service. Again...I have no stock in Thrifty...just a satisfied customer. Spike.

Date: January 19, 2006 01:06AM

Thanks for the info, Spike. It's good to hear a recommendation other than the same three "local" agencies.

Ed

Posted by: sabwjz (---.area4.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 06:15AM

I would also like to suggest Kenny's Car Rental. We've used him for the past two years and will again this year and most likely forever. He literally meets you at the airport with YOUR car, not a shuttle bus, and you will be on your way within 5 minutes. If you don't like lines then he is definately the way to go. Not to mention that his prices are VERY cheap and the cars are always reliable. If you have any problems with your rental he'll meet you anywhere on the island to fix it. It's vacation why risk putting up with any potential headaches. Oh and when you drop it off drive right up to the baggage check in area and he'll meet you there and take it from there.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |