The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Car rental
Posted by: pasnyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2005 09:15AM

Getting ready to reserve a car for two weeks in November. This year our quote jumped quite a bit from last year. From $112 a week to $140 a week through AAA, who we've rented with for years.

Was looking online at Expedia and found $114 a week through Payless. Has anyone dealt with them?

Pauline

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car rental
Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 12:48PM

Never heard of them of them which doesnt mean much but we've usually payed around the $140. for November and May so that sounds right to me. The other price sounds very low so are you sure it was fullsized small auto trans car with air and not a standard drive car?

Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 12:57PM

That's a pretty good price for November. I'd stick with AAA.

Posted by: jaybee (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: October 04, 2005 05:34PM

pasnyder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Getting ready to reserve a car for two weeks in
> November. This year our quote jumped quite a bit
> from last year. From $112 a week to $140 a week
> through AAA, who we've rented with for years.
>
> Was looking online at Expedia and found $114 a
> week through Payless. Has anyone dealt with
> them?
>
> Pauline

A rental car can in be group A, B,C ,D ...( price varies considerably).
Only if the car is the same car or the same group car, you can compare the prices with 100% compatibility.
Being not a newbee to the island, you are well aware that an item called " a car" can be either a worn one with dents/scratches ( read:cheaper) or one with ,say, 500 mileage ( read: new ).
The difference is $28 .
Even if someone on this board ever used Payless,and if he/she shares the experience , what is the guarantee your experience will be worth $28 ?
Very often 'the better' is the enemy of the 'the good @ the known'. :-)

We have ,as a new interesting board, 1-3 entries a day altogether , so you may wait a long before you gather enough inputs to arrive at a conclusion whether AAA or Payless is better for you.

Date: October 04, 2005 06:47PM

Thanks for your reply. The difference is really $56, since it'd be for 2 weeks. but, would it be worth it.

I was just looking at cutting corners this time. Usually we get dropped off at JFK by a family member and picked up. This year it wouldn't be convenient for them, so we're leaving the car at the long term lot at JFK. Thought I'd look into a savings somewhere else, IF, someone had knowledge of this being a good idea.

So, in the mean time, I'll just keep researching and see if anyone knows of a better deal.

Pauline

Posted by: Mildred (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 12:33PM

We prefer to rent an older car that would not attract thief's attention. An older car often has many dents. The rental company cares less if I add a few more.

Posted by: kim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 05, 2005 12:39PM

Pauline - look into avistar or riteway parking at JFK, and if you have AAA you get a discount also. Not sure which one it is, but its great. they bring you by bus to the airport, and are very quick, then when you get back to the airport, you call once you get your bags and only wait maybe 10 minutes, I think its like 14 a day. and they have your car pulled up front and ready for you.

Date: October 05, 2005 02:01PM

Kim, Thank you for that info.

Pauline

Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 02:12PM

We also prefer a banged up car. Just in case......

A rice burner is a rice burner. So long as it runs well, gets up the hills and A/C works. Worst car we ever got on the island was with Hertz.

ALways get just what we want from AAA. He gave us a new car once, we took it back the next day for a crash and dent model. We were too scared to drive the "nice" car with all the crazy drivers and limited parking.

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 09, 2005 02:19PM

Elaine,

I just saw your post for the first time and had to chuckle.

We usually do the same thing just to give ourselves one less thing to be concerned about. We've rented from Lesley Bruce at Kennys Car Rentals the last few trips, and that's usually part of our reservation request.

Basically, as long as the car is mechanically sound and has decent tires and a spare, who cares what it looks like? No one to impress and a car is a car.

Now, if your one who goes way back in St. Maarten visits, you might remember the yellow bananas that used to be the hot rental car one year - we survived those so anything else could only be an improvement, regardless of age or condition.

pat

Posted by: peter byrk (72.252.15.---)
Date: October 24, 2005 08:41PM

Payless a good choice. I live on a boat in the lagoon and has rented
from many rentals in the past. I started in january to rent from Payless and they have good cars, the price is competitive and the service is excellent.
Ask for Rocky..

peter byrk

Posted by: gfpaiges (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 12:14AM

Hi! Just returned from SXM last night (October 23) 4th time.........and it was as GREAT as always! We have found that it is easier for us to NOT rent a car ahead of time...usually because the first couple of days we are on the beach ALL day and usually eat at L'Astrolabe (at Esmerelda...yes, expensive, but well worth the money) OR at one of the beach restaraunts..THEN we call "Winston"...our trusted taxi driver...we've called him EVERY time we have been there!)he will BRING you a rental car OR taxi you all over the Island.VERY accomodating! Several resorts use him and we have found we "stay put" more than we "go"......so it's nice to be able to decide LATER if we want a car RATHER than pay for one ALL week that we will only use a couple of days.Also, gas prices on SXM last week were almost $5.00 a gallon, so maybe that's why rental prices are higher now.Cab fares are regulated on the Island, so you won't get shafted.Winston will even stop at a grocery for you on the way (at no extra charge) Really nice to be able to buy bottled water, cokes and bread at NORMAL prices BEFORE we get settled in!)He has an e mail blythetourcarrental@hotmail.com cell # (0690)27-0155 YES...if you plan to drive around every day it WILL be cheaper to rent a car at the airport and you SHOULD probably go thru AAA....BUT if you are like us and want to stay on the beach most of the time...then call Winston.......hope this helps..have FUN...wish I was still there!!!!! Paige

Posted by: Karen (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2006 10:35AM

My family and I will be traveling to SXM for the fourth time this July. I was wondering if someone has traveled there recently and can tell me the price of gas. Also, I am looking to rent a car and would like some recommendations regarding my choice. Thanks.

Posted by: RobertR (---.fuse.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 06:30AM

Just returned 2 days ago......gas was about $4.10 a gallon. Rented from Hertz at Great Bay Beach Resort, convenient from us since we stayed there. Only one day rental.

Posted by: marybel sarabia (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 01:50PM

Hi: We want to rent a vw convertible, do you where ? Thanks We are going 28th of may to 23 of june.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |