The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Educational System
Posted by: Jessica (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: November 10, 2003 12:28PM

I'm doing a project on St. Martin for a class at school and I was wondering how the educational system works in St. Martin. I have searched the internet for hours but have come up with nothing. Does anyone know anything about how these people are educated? If so I would greatly appreaciate any help.
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Educational System
Posted by: Augie (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 10, 2003 12:32PM

This may be of some help;
[www.studysxm.org]

Augie;

I am an agnostic dyslexic who questions if there really is a dog.

Posted by: Barbara1 (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: November 10, 2003 01:03PM

these people? you mean us?
we're educated just like you are
we have primary and secondary shcools. we have private and public shcools. we have schools that teach in the Dutch language, American English or British English..that's on the Dutch side
the schools on the french side teach in French

Posted by: TJM (---.94-24.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2003 01:50PM

That’s a tough one Jessica! Here’s a good link for you so you can talk directly to some of your peers who go to school in SXM:

[www.teentimes.com]

I am a product of SXM’s school system . . . but that was back when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth so some things are probably different. Barbara1 also answered correctly by saying the school “structure” mirrors pretty close to the structure of most American school districts.

If you have any specific questions, I’d be happy to try to respond directly or point you in the right direction. Good luck with your report!

TJM

Posted by: Jessica (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: November 10, 2003 03:19PM

Thank you so much for responding to my posting. The information you gave me was very informative. The project is for my college French class. We're doing presentations on countries of French origin. There is almost no information on the internet on the educations system, although there is lots of information about tourism. I would love to one day visit St. Martin!

Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: November 10, 2003 11:01PM

Try the Government web sites of France, specifically education, obviously.

St. Martin is an overseas region of France. There may be an education model standard that applies to all regions.

On the other hand, St. Martin may be autonomous with regard to education, who knows. I don't want to google it, you google it lol!

Ed

Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: November 10, 2003 11:22PM

...Of course, St. Martin may not fit the implied qualifier of a country of -french origin- if it's part of France now...Canada would be an intresting choice.

Are you sure it's not -french speaking- countries....in any case, if it's St Martin, i'd ask for a paid field trip to thoroughly explore this topic.

Ed

Posted by: Chas (12.16.111.---)
Date: November 11, 2003 08:45PM

An interesting sidenote on this. When we were there last week, we were in a restaurant on the French side. We overheard one of the owners saying that he was moving to the Dutch side so that his children could get an American education. Says something, doesn't it.

Posted by: zaira (131.109.103.---)
Date: July 24, 2006 11:33AM

Hi my name is stephanny. I am from st.martin but at this moment i am in providence. I am doing a project on the school food, music and the activites that you do in st.martin. So i was wondering if you could answer my questions.

1. I would like to know what kind of food do you serve to your students at lunch?

2.I would like to know all the names of the elementary schools on the Dutch side?

3.I would like to know the activaties that you guys do there?

4.I would like to know what is most percent of hispanic culture is there?

5.What kind of music do you guys most listen to?

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |