Date: May 23, 2003 12:43PM
1. Zee Best â€“ Marina Port Royale in Marigot, excellent pastries .
2. La Croissanterie â€“ same location, just on the water side, best croissants, Continental breakfast consisting of two fresh baked croissants, fresh orange juice, butter & jam, coffee or tea for $6.00, full American breakfast which includes the Continental plus eggs, sausage, ham or bacon to order, for $10.00 - Breakfast & Lunch *** A best bet ***
3. La Petit Auberge des Iles â€“ same location, in the marina on the waters edge, a complete dinner for $21.00. French - Dinner *** A best bet ***
4. Marioâ€™s Bistro â€“ Next to the drawbridge (French side) along the canal, very popular and very expensive, reservations required one month in advance 011 590 590 87 06 36. Ask for waterfront table. French. - Dinner
5. Don Camillo â€“ In the Marina very near Zee Best, expensive. Italian - Dinner
6. Ricâ€™s â€“ Near the drawbridge (Dutch side) inexpensive, lagoon views, American - B,L,D NOT FAR FROM THE PELICAN
7. Peg Legs â€“ Down the road from Ricâ€™s, inexpensive, on the lagoon side, Pub. L, D NOT FAR FROM THE PELICAN
8. Boathouse â€“ Simpson Bay Lagoon â€“ Seafood/Continental, with lovely lagoon views and entertainment on Friday evenings. Moderate - Dinner NOT FAR FROM THER PELICAN
9. Chesterfields â€“ Great Bay Marina, Continental/Seafood, Moderate (also a nice breakfast spot facing the bay, American style breakfast) â€“ B, L, D
10. Pasanggrahan Royal Guest House- Dinner al-fresco on the beach, a chalkboard full of $12.95 specials, on Frontstreet, Philipsburg B,L,D *** A best bet ***
11. The Wajang Doll â€“ Indonesian rice table (rijsttafel) with a dozen or more food items, on Frontstreet, on the beach Philipsburg, expensive. Dinner
12. Greenhouse â€“ Frontstreet, Philipsburg, in Bobbyâ€™s Marina, great food, 2 for I drinks, inexpensive to moderate. L. D
13. Cheriâ€™s CafÃ© â€“ Maho Beach resort, inexpensive, American, entertainment every night. L, D
14. Le Perroquet - French / Exotic foods, moderate to expensive , on the lagoon, Airport Road â€“ Dinner
15. Captain Olivers â€“ French/Creole, located at Oyster Pond just on the Dutch side border, for a romantic dinner overlooking the marina.
16. Maryâ€™s Boon â€“ Maryâ€™s Boon Beach Plantation is a special treat, a quaint dining experience on the beach at Simpson Bay with specific menuâ€™s for specific nights so you will need to reserve, and do ask for Dicky (Richard) and say hi from Bobcat. (599) 545-4235
17. The Hideaway@ La Vista located in Pelican Key near Flamingo & Pelican Resorts. Another delightful dining experience on the Dutch side â€“ the tables are on two levels and face a swimming pool. Be sure to ask for Piet (Peter) and say hi from Bobcat. NOT FAR FROM THE PELICAN
18. Poulet dâ€™ Orleans - Located in an old residence on the road from Orient at the point where the road dips and turns, we were greeted by Christian, one of the Romney kids as he came down to the parking field . Christian and his brother entertained us with a never-ending list of jokes. The house is filled with restaurant reviews, memories of things past, including a letter from a French official documenting the visit of the French President and George Bush Sr. to St. Martin and to this establishment back in 1989. I recommend you dine on the porch.
In addition there are may fine restaurants in Grand Case ( a small fishing village north of Marigot, with a mile long street filled with very expensive, mostly French. Some Italian and rib joints.
And finally, often overlooked are the fine hotel restaurants throughout the island offering excellent food at very reasonable prices. Many of these establishments are right on the beach with outstanding views, live entertainment and theme nights.