The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Need Some Tips
Posted by: clarkee (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 11, 2010 07:44PM

Hello All,

I will be coming to the Island after a very long absence of more than 25 years. I hear that there have been major changes...more people and development, but nevertheless can't wait to return. So I am now going to have to ask some very basic "tourist" questions...I will be staying in a villa in Terres Basses so where do you recommend I should shop for food? Should I bring Euros?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Some Tips
Posted by: OtherHalfa (12.16.111.---)
Date: August 11, 2010 08:49PM

After Luis, 15 years ago is enough of a timeframe to measure a difference.

Much has changed. The optimal word is MORE. More crime (more than car break-ins, injuring stuff is more prevalent), more traffic, more NOT what you would remember after 25 years ago. Sorry about that, very sad about that, but the truth.

Enjoy the villa, enjoy a few areas for beaching it, but DON'T travel the island to take in what you may remember - you will be sadly disappointed.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2010 09:26AM

the island has built up considerably since you were here. you will find it very changed.
staying in a villa in basse terres though is lovely. you couldn't have picked a better spot.
for food shopping, you could probably go to Match in Marigot or US Imports by the bridge. they are the closest
if you shop there, you will do better if you have euros. us$ are accepted everywhere though.
on the Dutch side you do not need euros. There is a great supermarket on the Dutch side called Le Grand Marche.
it is further away but the prices are probably better.
It is on the road leading from Marigot to Cole Bay on the Dutch side.
Enjoy your vacation!
if you have any other questions, please ask

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.8.---)
Date: August 12, 2010 10:17AM

Never used euros here yet!

A little closer if you don't need a huge grocery is the new Gourmet Marche in Porto Cupecoy. Same prices as Grand Marche, but not as big a selection.

Posted by: clarkee (---.dc37.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 11:47AM

So tell me about the "new" St Martin. I can not believe that the island is as bad as OtherHalfa is saying. Crime is one thing any visitor must be concerned with when travelling almost anywhere however,the friendly nature of the population at large I am sure makes up for those incidents. Where should I not go?

I am just coming back for rest, rest, rest. And I am bringing with me a first time visitor as well. But I guess because I have not been back for almost 25 years I too can be considered a first time visitor. I have always stayed in Terres Basse for the security and quite. Has that changed as well?

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.9.---)
Date: August 12, 2010 04:01PM

Some things don't change. The friendliness of the people and peace and quiet in Terres Basse are things you will still find here. Altho you will see it more built up, I'm sure. It's still exclusive on the island.

Have fun!

The only place we DON'T go is Pic Paradise. And I actually would go there, with a tour group.

Date: August 13, 2010 09:50PM

clarkee
do not travel the road from your villa in basse terres through the lowlands to the dutch side at night. it can be dangerous. go the other way through Marigot.
basse terres itself is still quiet and there is good security.
it is a beautiful area and the beach near by..bay rouge..is gorgeous.

be sure not to leave anythign ever unattended in your car, not even in the trunk.. we do have a lot of car break ins.
Just use common sense and you should be OK. most of our visitors here are never victims of crime.

Posted by: clarkee (---.dc37.net)
Date: August 14, 2010 10:56AM

Thanks for the tip. Is it dangerous to drive at night because of the road or because of people (robbers). I had an experience in Ecuador driving at night with robbers, I was lucky to have a priest with me so there was no harm done. What road should I take if I decide to venture out at night.

Date: August 14, 2010 11:23AM

yes, there can be robbers on that road through the lowlands at night.
if you go out at night, go through marigot instead

Posted by: gerald (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 14, 2010 11:52AM

Stay off the lowland roads at night.

Stay away from Front Street

Date: August 14, 2010 12:14PM

front street? I walk on front street at night with no problem.
front street is usually dead at night though. other than a few restaurants there is not much happening there. on the weekends, especially Friday night, the boardwalk can be busy with live music near the st rose arcade.
check The Daily Herald Thursday edition which has out'n'about, which lists all the events on the island for the week.

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.1.---)
Date: August 14, 2010 02:06PM

We've not had problems on Front Street either. Guess I would not be there at 2 am.

Date: August 14, 2010 02:25PM

I am nowhere at 2 AM except in my bed LOL
except maybe for new years eve LOL

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: August 14, 2010 07:20PM

and even that!... Last time you celebrated it at Capt. O. I believe you were in bed before 1am! LOL

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2010 07:21PM by Tabba Khady.

Posted by: OtherHalfA (12.16.111.---)
Date: August 15, 2010 08:10PM

I thibk that the person mentioning Front St. as a stay away place was talking about during the day, due to the recent rash of armed robberies at the jewelry stores.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |