The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Island Hopping
Posted by: MPlatt (---.144.188.173.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 07, 2010 10:41AM

We're coming in this Saturday and had planned on visiting one of the neighboring islands for the day. We had planned on doing St. Barts but I'm hearing and reading great things about Anguilla and Nevis. If you guys could only do one other island which would it be and is a certain day better/worse to visit?

Also, is there a better weather website source than weather.com? It seems to think it's going to be 86 degrees and 40% chance of rain every day. Is that realistic and is that rain just afternoon thunderstorms?

Thanks all!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Island Hopping
Posted by: mikentara (---.153.5.224.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: July 07, 2010 12:03PM

Love St. Bart's, very French, very expensive, very nice restaurants & beaches.
Love Anguilla, beautiful beaches, laid back vibe, not as picturesque as St. Bart's, but relaxing for a great day on a gorgeous beach.
Never been to Nevis, but it's not easy to get to from St. Maarten. They do have flights to St. Kitts.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 07, 2010 08:17PM

MPlatt,

I can understand why you would want to see these places and they're all totally unlike each other.

As stated, St. Barth's is beaucoup Euro - very lush and lovely, and it's here you might shoulder up to the bar and rub elbows with who knows who of the rich and famous brigade. Be prepared to spend lots of money for the simplest of trappings. Getting there from St. Maarten/St. Martin involves either a boat ride, which many say is not for those with weak sealegs, or a flight from either Grand Case or PJIA, the latter of course being the faster choice but the waiting around time to me, anyway, seemed worse than the boat ride. And I have to say, I had no problems with the boat ride over and loved the ride back.

Next possibility - Anguilla and one of my favorite islands. We often give up 3-4 of our St. Maarten days every April to overnight here. It's no where near as beautiful as St. Maarten or St. Barths but the beaches are the most incredible beaches in this part of the Caribbean and many say of the world. My travels haven't taken me far enough to make that comparison but we do love it there. And don't let anyone kid you - the rich and famous are there, too, but they're aren't as open to being seen and you usually have to frequent some of the higher end hotels and restaurants to rub elbows with them. As far as costs, you can spend high or low and have a great day either way.

St. Kitts and Nevis - ah, it's been a few years but these are two very different islands. They're not remotely as easy to get to and will definitely require a flight and probably would be more enjoyed if you were able to do a stay over. There's lots of history to be enjoyed and the Fort at Brimstone Hill is not to be missed if historic sites are your thing. The beaches, IMO, do not even remotely compare to those of your other two choices or SXM, but they're quite doable. St. Kitts boasts a beautiful black sand beach but again, this wasn't my personal cup of tea. I don't think it's remotely as expensive on these two islands, or at least we didn't find them to be, but it's also been a while since we've visited there. St. Kitts and Nevis are scenic and beautiful but IMO require a little more time and in order to enjoy the best of both you'll probably spend a little more money but you'll end up feeling like you've gottem a lot more for it.

And lastly, if you want to take a walk on the wild side - a totally different Caribbean experience if you're willing to give up a day of beaching, is a trip to Saba. (There is a beach there occasionally, but I wouldn't go to Saba for a beaching day.) It's about a ninty minute boat trip which again, many find to be gruelling, or a ten minute flight in a STOL type airplane - the landing of this is an absolute experience in itself. The island is immaculate, lush and incredibly beautiful. Scenic and a photographers dream but definitely NOT a beaching island. The latter is worth a trip just to say you've visited a Caribbean volcanic island. The first time we went we took the Edge out of Pelican Marina and that trip was enough to tell us we wanted to go back again and explore a little more on our own. It's a unique island but may be way out of the realm of what you're interested in.

As for the SXM weather forecasts - they almost always read cloudy with a chance of rain but over almost forty years of visiting annually, I've yet to experience a rainout. Not to say they don't happen but they've not happened to us over all those years and all those trips.

Don't know if this is the kind of info you're looking for and if it's a first trip for you, you may just want to let sand gravity take control and save the island hopping for another trip. Whatever you do, relax and enjoy.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 08, 2010 07:04AM

As always, the perfect answer Pat! You couldn't have described each experience better. And don't forget to mark your calendar for Monday, November 29th. Hope you'll be coming.

Vicki

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 08, 2010 06:37PM

Thanks, Vicki and I only hope it's what the OP was looking for. Sending you a PM re the other.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: Neil Rooney (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2010 07:56PM

Winair SXM to Nevis or American Eagle from San Juan

[www.fly-winair.com]

Just Another Ho Hum Day On D Planet

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 09, 2010 07:33AM

While all of the above have been answered it's a matter of taste and time. Having been to Anguilla, St. Barth's, Saba, St.Eustastus, St. Kitt's and Nevis, I prefer Nevis. It's laid back and sort of reminds me of a smaller Bermuda back in the day. Unique & special. Unfortunately, it requires time to get there. You've got to fly and with schedules etc. it becomes an overnighter.
Good luck in your choice.

smileys with beer Contessa

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |