The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Deleted Posts and daughter's concerns
Posted by: Hollyhawk (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 08:20AM

My daughter posted a few days ago with concern about staying on St. Martin for her honeymoon. Where did it go?

Her father and I have offered her and her fiance to select from a number of timeshares thru out the islands. It has been years since we have been on this island, let alone have visited any of these forums. However, she remembers how well we spoke of the island upon our return. I pointed her in the direction of this forum, as I remember it was, well free-wheeling, but was always fair and honest with legit questions. When did that stop and take on the characteristics of other sites that were overly moderated? These actions so not put the island in good light and have probably discouraged new visitors.

I will attempt to ask again for her, why are pictures and back in the day topics so dwelled upon? Why is there not as much, or should be more, info about the present day island? Does she have something to be concerned about, as she had selected this island for a honeymoon?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Deleted Posts and daughter's concerns
Posted by: ANON (---.muf122.nycm.n54ny05r18.dsl.att.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 08:40AM

HHawk,
This forum is NOT OVERLY MODERATED. If there was a reasonable post made its probly here somewhere. And if its not there was probly a darned good reason cause they dont often delte. Just lock.
Free wheeling? Cant answer to that but its honest and fair and peopled by very knowledgeable islanders and repeat visitors who share a real love of this island.
I always see reasonable questions getting rasonable answers.
As to the old pictures we love to revisit the isand of our memories. Nothing wrong with it but anyone who doesnt enjoy it is more than welcome to just skip over the posts. There usually easy to identify.
Your daughter will most probly have a wonderful honeymoon on this island and if she still has questions try posting them again and see what happens.

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: June 23, 2010 09:05AM

hollyhawk - again, if your daughter is the one that came on here to complain about other sites, I don't understand your probelms. Who are you to say we need to talk about present day? This is a chat board, not something put out by the Island Tourism Board? If we want to talk about whales in the north atlantic, we will? If you have questions ask them, if you want to bitch about other boards being overly moderated, don't bother.

Does she have something to be concerned about? IDK, what are your concerns? I am really trying hard to answer your question but what are your concerns? Where is she staying?

Ask away and you will be answered

Posted by: dave3 (65.55.67.---)
Date: June 23, 2010 09:46AM

hollyhawk.
i will agree with some of your comments especially the one about old picures. not that they shouldnt be posted...but lately that is all there is. enough is enough. i would welcome more island information and questions. i have been coming to sxm for twenty plus years now and still have alot to learn, especially since the last few years have only visited for one time each year for 2-3 weeks. things change in a year. i would wish that they not have as many back in the old times where you get 3 people emailing back and forth , although it is some interesting, and more information or question messages.

Posted by: ANON (---.muf122.nycm.n54ny05r18.dsl.att.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 10:11AM

FOR those who wish to see less pics and more info then ask the questions. Folks are always happy to help here.
Like the other poster says this isn't something created by the sxm island tourism board but by friends who like to chat. And I'll even concede sometimes the folks chat more then most will get but thats the nature of friends and thats what most here are. Friends plain and simple.
So ask away and if the questions are reasonable and anyone knows the answer I'll bet you'll get lot of responses that will be helpful to you.

Posted by: CarolynandWalt (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 10:24AM

I recall reading your daughter's post. It was not the poster who complained about the other forum. She said that her parents were offering them a honeymoon in SXM and that she had heard a lot of bad things about crime and was concerned about their safety and should they look for another island. If it was deleted, it was probably because crime threads tend to get rather long and heated. One side says crime is everywhere and the other side says it is not any worse than anywhere else. In my opinion, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Yes, there is crime in SXM. We go 5 times a year and have never had any problems whatsoever. We are aware that things happen and are cautious the same way we are at home. If I recall your daughter was not specific about where they were looking to stay or what activities they might be interested in. Perhaps if she is more specific with her questions, someone will be helpful.

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: June 23, 2010 11:03AM

dave3 - so just don't read the posts? I truly don't get the problem, if you don't like it, don't read it? For those of us that have been going for years, the old pictures are nice to see. I would think for newbies it would be instersting to see the difference in what it was and what it is? If you have a question ask? What kind of Island information do you want? Again, if you ask, it will be answered.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2010 11:40AM

I am sorry but I didn't see the post that hollyhawk is talking about. Maybe Hollyhawk shoudl PM Philippe to ask him about it?

the board here is often rather quiet. we post the old pictures usually when there is not much else going on.
I do not think that by posting old time pics and stuff, we are neglecting up to date current information.
ask a question and it will get answered.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2010 11:46AM by Barbara1.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 11:49AM

I believe I also remember the post and can't imagine that it would be deleted or blocked? Maybe it just got lost in the other posts?

Posted by: Neil Rooney (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2010 12:55PM

I too saw it.

Now the mystery of who/why it was deleted?

Just Another Ho Hum Day On D Planet

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2010 01:08PM

I am the one who deleted the post...and I would still do it today! The poster "your daughter" used the exact same IP adress than the one the well kown troll is using to complain regulary about the same thing "your daughter" complained about : "instead of posting old picture, post instead picture of today"! It was not deleted regarding the "crime" issue.. it was deleted because it was written the exact same way as the troll is writting and expressing its concerns, and also the fact that was pretty much the same post that the troll posted a couple of weeks ago, with THAT IP adress!!!! Since there were way too much similitude regarding the involved posting and that I do not believe in coincidences I deleted "your daughter" post, whom I still think, is the same person who is "trolling" this site! Sorry if I am wrong, but thenm why does she use the have the same IP adress than, which is not a common one netherless (not aol, comcast, verizon or whatsoever, but a very specific unique ones instead!!!)but since you are posting now with a new IP adress it will be then easy to verufy all of this. I am sorry for the inconvenience, and sorry for the people who are not interested in the history and past of the island, but as it was said p[reviously, old pictures are rare and difficult to find, so it is only kind to post them to the interest of the public... Actula pictures of the island, instead, are very easy to find anywhere on the internet and it is not an obligation for gobeach memebers to post any. If you wnat to see what the island look alike today, you just do a google image search about St Maarten and you will see it all!
I do believe still that the original post was in the intend to stir contreversy, and it would be deleted the same way today for the exact same reason!
Thanks for understanding,

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Grumpy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 02:06PM

I agree with Philippe, and also think that "the mother" is also a troll.
I think that the OP said her bf's parents gave them trip.

Date: June 23, 2010 03:00PM

and I would have made a bet that Neil deleted the post LOL

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2010 03:30PM

Grumpy, You are right! That's what the deleted post was saying! Oh oh.. Inspector Clouseau has some competition with you!!!.... Very perspicasse though!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 23, 2010 03:43PM

Inspector Jacques Clouseau: There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |