| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
You must remember this
Posted by: jimandi (---.pbtcomm.net)
Date: June 09, 2010 06:28PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: You must remember this
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2010 06:33PM

Wow...this is stumping me because of the very high mountains. I can see some sort of a town or factory area along the coastline in the distance but it doesn't coincide with any place that I may know. I assume Barbara and Philippe will know where this is but I at a loss.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2010 06:54PM

I see a road that looks like the road that goes over the hill into Philipsburg from Cole Bay? So is it Cay Bay? Looks like two water or oil tanks on the mountainside.

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2010 07:43PM

The old Wathey Pier?

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2010 07:47PM

its the small pier in the middle of town . the wathey pier is in the background.
wow, that is an old picture
neat!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: June 09, 2010 07:56PM

here are a few more really old pictures of Philipsburg..back in the day, as they say here

`

Date: June 09, 2010 08:16PM

Barbara is correct. But Contessa, you get a gold star too because when my daughter looked at the picture (she grew up on the Island) she also stated the old Wathey Pier.

Date: June 09, 2010 08:37PM

The small pier in the middle of town was never called the Wathey pier.
It used to be called just the little pier and then was named Captain Hodge pier.
the square in the center of town where the pier is is called Cyrus Wathey Square.
the big pier in Pointe Blanche is the Wathey pier

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2010 08:37PM by Barbara1.

Date: June 09, 2010 09:05PM

Was there ever a place called "The Landing Place"? One of the photos in that book shows a building VERY similar to the courthouse with nothing in front of it, similar to the courthouse, but is missing the second floor. It has the steeple and the lower floor with 3 openings (a door and 2 windows) plus a fence in front but the photo is called "The Landing Place".

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Date: June 09, 2010 09:10PM

I remember it only as the Little Pier. Please tell me about the first photo you posted. There seems to be a Sister on the porch

What I am posting are my pictures. And yes, some are very old. Some I will post without being really, really sure of where they are. I know where I think they are. I will depend on you and Philippe to tell me if it is in fact St. Maarten or a sister island.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2010 07:10AM

YES..... at the beginning of the century, in front of the court house, right at the edge of the beach, and connected to the dock, there was a protestant temple.... The architecture was similar to what you describe, look alike the court house itself, but with no second floor and no tower... however, with the court house in the background, it is almost like this temple had a tower, even though it was the one of the court house behind (I am not sure I am clear in my demonstration here...LOL) The Temple had 3 large doors in the front, each door was in the shape of a "pointy" arch, and it had a small fence in front of it... it was facing the dock, which dock or this area was called "the landing Place" since it was where the boat came to land...In French it was called "L'appontement"

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: kim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2010 07:51AM

B - was that how the island looked when you got there???grinning smiley

these pictures are amazing, I have somewhere, and after my house is out of the re-construction phase maybe I can find it, with many many old pictures in it, it is postcard size and I bought it at Shipwreck Shop many years ago.

Date: June 10, 2010 07:58AM

Thank you Philippe! Now that I enlarged the photo and looked at it more carefully, now I can see that the steeple I am seeing is really behind the church on the courthouse!

Here it is:

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2010 08:01AM

This is it!!!! My description was pretty good, wasn't it???...grinning smileysmoking smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 10, 2010 08:09AM

Kim
the island did not look like that when i got here but it did look like that when Philippe first came.
He is much older than he looks. tongue sticking out smiley

Sylvia, my first picture is of the first hospital here on back street and it was run by nuns.

I am sure Philippe remembers that too tongue sticking out smiley

Philippe,where did you get the informaiton that the building in front of the court house was a protestant temple?
Dee says it was not a church but was the customs house.
everyone and everything came into the island by boat (no airport then) and they had to clear immigration and customs in that building.

He has no knowledge of that ever being a church, although we know he is much younger than you, of course.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |