The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Looking for an apartment on the French Side - are there areas I should avoid?
Posted by: Warwick (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 05:27PM

Hello All et Bonjour a tous!

It is only a few weeks now before I relocate to St Martin. This coming Friday I will arrive for a few days to look for an apartment on the French side - so I guess Philippe you are going to be the best person for advice. Are there areas that I should rather avoid when looking for an apartment? Rates in Cul de Sac seem to be quite a lot lower than in other areas - is there a reason for this - i.e. it is not a desirable area or perhaps just because it is not "on the beach"?
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

A bientot!

Warwick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for an apartment on the French Side - are there areas I should avoid?
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2009 11:24AM

why don't you PM Philippe. he would know the answer to your question I think
and maybe he hasn't see your post
his handle here is
Tabba Khady

There is nothing wrong with the cul de sac area by the way......not as far as I know.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Re: Looking for an apartment on the French Side - are there areas I should avoid?
Posted by: Warwick (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2009 02:38PM

Thanks Barbara - as usual I have left everything to the last minute and will be in SXM tomorrow. So I think for the first visit I will just jump in a car and drive around and try and get an idea first hand of the areas.
I have also been interested in reading in some of the other posts here about people who "officially" reside on the French side but actually rent on the Dutch side - might be a good option, as the prices on the French side seem a lot more than the Dutch for accommodation. A lot to get my head around in a few days, but I am very excited about the move.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2009 07:54AM

Hi warwick,
sorry I ddin't saw your post earlier and hope that you will still read the board while in sxm...
I am not sure that the rent are cheaper in the Dutch side verus the French side... maybe it is if we take the conversion Euro Dollars, but IMO it tend to be cheaper on the French side. Take also in consideration that tha utilities are A LT cheaper and reliable on the French side.
However you will find out that a lot of rental on the French side are under defiscalisation program and that they are only accessible to French (or foreign resident) who file for income tax in the French Side (or in France ). You will need proof of that to access those rental.
I am not sure of which cul de sac you are talking about since there two: One on the French side, and one on the Dutch side. Barbara already answered for the one on the Dutch side, I will for the one on the French side: It is a very nice area and most of the house have ocean view, some have a view on pinel island. Most of the constructions are pretty recent and if you find them cheap that is because they were built under the defiscalisation program and are being rented out as it.
I beleive that the choice of your location would be about where you are working... wich area? Because even though the island is small the traffic can be unbarable sometime and it can take you 45 minutes to an hour and half to go home from work if your house is in a totally opposit area. So take that in consideration. If you work in Marigot, I wouldn't recommend you to live in Oyster Pond even though it is a beautiful area to live... You would be quickly tired of the back and forth and time waisted in the car. Otherwise, I concluded after many years living down here that all area can be nice to live if you allow yourself to fit in the neighborhood, and by driving around while you are here this week you will judge by yourself very easilly where you feel to fit or not. There are many many rental available right now so visit as many as you can. Also if you considerate the Dutch side, buy the Daily Herald and look at the adds... everyday you have many. Per example, since weeks there is an add for a 2 bedroom house fully furnished with a pool and satelite,internet, etc.. beautiful view located in weimouth hill for only $1300 per month. I am amazed that this one is still available everyday because it si very inexpensive.
Good luck and keep us posted

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |