The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

DO NOT USE THRIFTY OR DOLLAR RENTAL CAR
Posted by: Ava (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 04:37PM

My husband and I were in St. Maarten for a week in November and rented a car from Thrifty/Dollar (they are run at the same place). Upon returning the car there was sand in the car as in every car that is returned but nothing out of the ordinary. Upon returning home, they double charged our credit card. One correct charge for the rental $118 and a second charge for $131.25 which they claim was for excessive cleanup. We have been to the Caribbean 10+times, 3 of which were to St. Maarten and have never had this problem. We have been attempting to dispute the charges with our credit card company since then and are still in the middle of a dispute. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM!! They will rip you off and try to claim that they had to do excessive cleanup and double charge your credit card! Don't take any chances with them and rent from any other company!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DO NOT USE THRIFTY OR DOLLAR RENTAL CAR
Posted by: c r tutwiler (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 09:37PM

I could not agree more, these people a crooks! I have used them before and never again! They got us for damage to the locks on the doors. $ 650.00 as they said the locks were damaged while the car was in our in our possession. We finally got the CC company to pay them but they are scam/crooks stay away from them they are bad news!

Posted by: oneocean7 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 21, 2009 08:20AM

I could not agree more! The car they gave me, once I got over to Grand Case and realized it, had all worn tires to a dangerous level,all tires had metal mesh exposed. It would not even go up a hill it ran so bad. I was going to change a tire myself so I could get it back to them,but the spare was the same wear, and flat.Finally,when I did get back,I went into the back where they work on the cars,and they pieced together a car for me using 3 other rental cars and put the worn out tires from mine onto the cars waiting to be rented. I watched this myself!
It took one entire day of my vaction to accomplish this,with no compensation at all on the price of the rental.

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2009 12:23PM

HERTZ tried to charge us when we wasted a vacation day filing reports for tailights stolen from their car.IMO, I didn't have to file any reports but figured it was the right thing to do.When I saw that they didn't automatically credit my bill when I returned the car.I had to argue with them to remove a days rental charge because we certainly couldn't use the car.I told them I've rented from them for over 25 yrs and will never rent from them again after the way they treated us.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |