The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Omar - Need Updates
Posted by: pasnyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2008 07:57AM

Anxiously awaiting news this morning of how the island made it through the night. Barb, Tabba, are you guys alright?

Pauline

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Omar - Need Updates
Posted by: pasnyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2008 09:55AM

Duh.. I mean Barb & Philippe!!! So sorry.... Can you tell I'm antsy??

Posted by: RicknGrace (170.61.20.---)
Date: October 16, 2008 10:52AM

No word yet?

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2008 10:57AM

Hello,
I have no news from Barbara, tried to call but apparently the phone lines are down.... Life is coming back to normal slowly, with the usaula fater huricannes chores...: cleaning up, fixing, evaluating...
The storm hit at 3am has projected, but it was stronger than expected. My house was safe, the winds were not coming from the front, but from the back over the mountain, so very little winds impact for what iwas concern. A lot of rain though. The restaurant has some damages of course, we lost part of our canpoy roof on the water front, and some shingle, a lot of trees are down, etc... but we are officially re-opened to public as of 11 am this morning. I satrted to clean up and do some fix up this morning at 7am so we are fine.
Apparently the Dutch side was hit pretty bad and some of my staff called me telling me they cannot come to worked (umm ummm...) because the raods are locked. I heard that Simpson bay had some damage, i do not know the extend of them. I assume there is no electric yet on the Dutch side, which is maybe why we didn't heard from Barbara yet!
It was definitly stronger than what we thought, fortunatly it moved pretty fast so it didn't last very long.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 10:59AM

I think Barbara does not have internet either. Her friend Lia heard from her and Lia emailed me and a few others.
There supposedly IS alot of flooding by Illidge Rd and Simpson Bay.
irina

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 11:17AM

Irina, thanks for posting about B...I was and am worried about her.

Phillip, glad you came out OK.

Annie

Posted by: MarcG (---.si.cgocable.ca)
Date: October 16, 2008 11:23AM

I received an e-mail from Denis, Club O manager, and apart from a few trees that are down, there is no damage. Perch and Boutique open later this morning, and Papagayo's will be open for dinner..

Posted by: fabila (155.72.24.---)
Date: October 16, 2008 11:32AM

My husband spoke with one of the owner's of Beachside Villa's in Simpson bay and aside from some down trees the villa's are OK.

Posted by: TL (---.adsl196-3.iam.net.ma)
Date: October 16, 2008 11:45AM

Hello, I am flying to Sxm on monday Oct 20 and wondering if the airport will be opened for in ternational flights. Thank you for your prompt answer.

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 11:46AM

Just read that the airport will be opened tomorrow, of course, pending any further storms.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Date: October 16, 2008 12:00PM

Omar became a category 3 Huricanne at 11pm last night, it was located 17.4N - 64.5W with winds substaining at 115mph and moving ENE at 20mph...
At 1am it was till Cat3, located 74 miles SW of SXM, 17.9N - 64,W with winds at 120mph and continuing its course at 20mph towards NE...
At 3 am Omar passed the closest to SXM, only 54 miles WNW, cat3, with winds of 125mph still moving NE at 20mph...
at 5am it was still 70 miles north of St Martin, located 19.1N - 63.2W moving NNE at 25 mph with substained winds at 125mph...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 16, 2008 12:01PM

The airport is certainly already open, or if not will certainly be open later today or tomorow max... I want to assume. So except if another storm hit sxm on or around the 20th.. the airport should operational.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Mrs. T (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2008 12:06PM

Has anyone heard how everyone at LaVista (behind the Pelican) is doing? The TTOL board reported a possible a tornado touch down near Simpson Bay.

Posted by: johnt (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 12:07PM

saw some reports on the other board that SSBB is gone except for the cement bar, bliss gone, bad damage at canavarsari, water in bottom floor of royal islander and Maho, supposed tornado tore off two roofs near scotia bank, Flamingo has some walls down, the restaurant on beach's deck is torn apart. some water in first floor apartments. Have not heard anything about Pelican, BBB or atrium except that kim sha beach was messed up.

Posted by: GaKaye (195.46.229.---)
Date: October 16, 2008 12:09PM

I have emailed Andrea at LaVista, but have not had a response. I will post here when I hear from them. I imagine their internet service is down.

Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |