The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Help is desperately needed....for the USA this time
Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 09:58AM

It feels strange to be making this post, since so often, we are responding to the posts of others asking the same thing, but I’d like to take this opportunity to remind all of us who post here, as is so often done in the case of other world-wide destinations, that this time, help is needed right here, right now along our southern gulf coast.

Both the Red Cross and the Salvation Army, to name but a few relief organizations involved, are in desperate need of donations both in the form of dollars and other things as well to aid in the relief of our fellow citizens who have been so desperately stricken in the wake of Ike.

It’s incredibly easy to make a cash donation on line and don’t forget the blood drives since the plea is out there for the need of blood donations also.

To those of you who already have donated, thank you, and to those who might have been considering doing so, go for it. It's a great feeling to have helped, by whatever means you're able to do so.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2008 04:59PM by Barbara1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help is desperately needed....
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2008 12:14PM

Pat,
thanks for making this post.
I had made some posts for the Caribbean but now it's the USA.
it's incredible to think of the destruction, damage and suffering.
it's overwhelming.
it's hard to support them all but even a little bit goes a long way.
and, as I said before somewhere, I know only too well how important that help is.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: September 14, 2008 12:26PM

Barbara,

I'm hoping that you might make this sticky at the top for a while.

As one who has never personally been through a hurricane but remembers the effects Hugo had on a dear family member, trust me on this, these people need all the help they can get.

Things so many don't realize is that without power food in freezers spoils and many do not have the resources to cook and/or heat what they have; if you're lucky enough to be able to get to your car and move it, gas stations in many cases are either out of gas or have no power to pump it; banks are closed and most people run out of the short home cash stash they might have had on hand and all the ATMs in the world won't help w/o electricity. Clean and safe drinking water and ice become a dear commodity; sanitary situations break down rapidly w/o electricity; and most sadly of all, gouging becomes a way of life all too rapidly. I know these are problems that most of the islanders here are only too well aware of but most of us who haven't personally been through these situations just don't realize the hardships people face. And this doesn't even begin to take into considerations those who have totally lost their homes and belongings to these storms.

Again, I sincerely hope all that are able, take this to heart and do what they can to help. All too often it's people in the States helping others, but this time we all need to reach out and help our own as well.

Respectfully,

pat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2008 12:49PM by pat.

Date: September 14, 2008 01:15PM

doen
it might be helpful if anyone has nay links where online donations can be made.

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 01:27PM

B, glad you made this a sticky. I'm not very computer smart and don't know how to post a link. I should think all you have to do is go to the Salvation Army site and there will be instructions there.

And Pat...thanks for posting this! I do hope that all the people who so generously gave to help all the islands affect by Ike will do the same for their own country.

Annie

Re: Help is desperately needed....for the USA this time
Date: September 14, 2008 05:49PM

Here is a list including some local charities
[www.cnn.com]

Texas Baptist Men - these guys always show up for diasters and help with rebuilding for a long time after
[www.texasbaptistmen.org]

Salvation Army -Texas Division
[www.salvationarmytexas.org]

Mennonite Disaster Service
[www.mds.mennonite.net]

Catholic Charities
[www.catholiccharitiesusa.org]

Re: Help is desperately needed....for the USA this time
Date: September 16, 2008 07:23PM

Thank you, Barbara, for adding those clickable addies.

pat

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |