- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Great Tips and Tricks worth sharing
Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 11:54AM

I thought it would be a great idea for us to start a list of great tips and tricks we've learned over the years (or even as First Timers) for getting around the island or even avoiding problems. And "great finds" would also be welcomed to many. They may be old hat to many but for newcomers, this thread could be helpful.

I think the most useful tricks we have found in past years are the following:

•Getting around the Marigot traffic - turn left into the parking lot right before entering Marigot proper and following this road around the water's edge will eventually allow you to by-pass the heart of Marigot where traffic and detours can lead you to insanity....

•A shortcut to Philipsburg is to bear right at the first traffic circle over the "lookout" mountain from Simpson Bay and following this side road along the water's edge right into Philipsburg. Once you cross over the tiny bridge after Great Bay Resort and you don't want to follow Front Street which can be very slow, you can make a left at the first main street and then a right which will take you to the main drag along the Salt Pond.

•Rimas in Philipsburg is a great find for those that have no patience to window shop for souvenirs. All the souvenirs you would ever want (or not want) all in one place. It's along the main Salt Pond road of Philipsburg and is a big yellow building with big yellow flags flying.

•Sunday is a great day to ride around the island. Many businesses are closed (hence less traffic) but having a nice relaxing lunch at La Croissanterie in Marigot is just such a delight (only open limited hours). We always find a parking space right in front and the peacefulness of the day is just so wonderful.

Well....I'll try to think of more but for now, it's a start...

After this thread has gone around full circle, I will then recap all the great ideas and put them into one file as a "pdf" so people can download it for future trips.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great Tips and Tricks worth sharing
Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 12:02PM

go to Phillipsberg early in the morning so parking is not problem. You can have breakfast there while you wait for shops to open.

if your on the island on Saturday its a good day to shop in Phillipsberg because t/s people are either coming, going or many are changing rooms and theres usually not a lot of ships then so you have the shops undivided attention and not that many customers so the owners are more willing to deal.

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.53.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 12:24PM

Hey!

Great tips!

A few of the things we pack may help for common problems:

An "octopus" electrical plug in lets you charge batteries, run laptops etc. from 1 outlet. Most TS units have few wall receptacles.

LARGE clothespins are great for keeping towels on beach chairs.

Small shockcords available in $$$ stores come in handy when packing and going to the beach.

Small flashlight always gets used at least once.

Some may differ, but we rent a low profile car and let the garbage pile up in the back seat. We leave it open with the windows cracked a bit at beaches and parking.
Of course there's nothing of value ever left inside.

When you're going downtown and get stuck for parking try the parking lot past the chain link fence on the bar side of CHESTERFIELD's.

A stack of $1.00 bills for the trip handles a lot of the tips you may pay upon arrival. I keep them with the passports and tickets.

Ice cold beer is available at most local grocery stores for about $1.00,

Stand at the end of your beach lounger and look for your shadow. Line the chair up with the shadow for the best tan.

Usually leave the laptop in the oven if the room has been made up and we're going out. Keeps it out of sight. Only broiled one so far......

BIGDEN

Posted by: sue (72.10.105.---)
Date: June 04, 2008 12:30PM

Bring lots of zip lock bags in all sizes.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 12:39PM

If your staying in a t/s bring little zip locks with small amounts of spices if you want to do cooking in. Same thing with sugar and coffee for the first am. They pack easy and flat and take up no room. I bring a flashlight and a nightlite. You wouldn't believe how many toes I stubbed in the night before I learned to do this.

Date: June 04, 2008 12:50PM

Great Tips everyone!!!! Ones I could even use and I've been going for 12 years. Thanks!

And you made me laugh at the broiled laptop!!! I am so absent-minded that that's the first thing I would land up doing if I ever tried that...lol

And maybe one step further on the flashlight/nightlight thing...I just purchased a few nightlights for our condo and these nightlights actually turn into emergency lights if the electricity goes out. Keeping them plugged in offers a nightlite but also keeps the batteries charged in an emergency. I ordered them on-line and they were not at all expensive. The only problem I would have is forgetting them when leaving the unit after our vacation is done.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2008 12:55PM by John.

Posted by: KFCMon (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 01:00PM

Get a cold Heine at the KFC drive thru window in P'Burg for $1.40

Posted by: seamusoisin (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 01:09PM

I make up a business card every year with my email and our first names on it and print on those cut out cards available at Staples on our inkjet. I found that it beats the little napkin notes that you write your info on and probably went into the ocean on the person's next swim. No address or phone number as you need further communication to see if you want to bring it up to another level.

I met one gentleman at Maho who had been sampling Ramon's BBCs for hours and after a half hour listening to him decided that it would be fun to pick his brain as he was a long time visitor to SXM and in fact had been married to a daughter of a very prominent SXM family. Saw him again the next day and apparently he didn't remember me and was a little perplex as to why I was speaking to him. Ten minutes later he said "I met this couple and they had a great idea. They print up little cards with their names and email" He then proceeds to take my card of his wallet. This leads to another tip "Take it easy with Ramon's BBCs".

I had the right to remain silent...but I didn't.

[burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com]

Date: June 04, 2008 01:11PM

That reminds me....for a little trivia....if anyone saw the Anthony Bordaine episode where he travels around the island eating at a few local establishments, if you were actually paying attention and not just ogling the views of the beaches...he was at Gus' Bar Restaurant on Baie Rouge and he ordered a Presidente but when you see him actually getting his food...they had given him a Corona.smileys with beer

Posted by: mikentara (---.153.54.148.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 01:13PM

Keep a "church-key" in your cooler for opening beers on the beach.
If going to Pinel--try to get the 1st ferry-10:00 am
Be polite and greet shopkeepers, anyone with a hello/bonjour before your inquiry.

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.53.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 02:52PM

Hey!

Another contentious tip....perhaps...

We never use coupons in restaurants. We weigh the savings with the thought in mind that perhaps things won't be as good as if it's full price; especially the service.

Remember...people are ALONE with your food before it gets to you...be courteous.

BIGDEN

Posted by: jimandi (---.pbtcomm.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 04:01PM

Well now I have found one I can use. 'Cold Heine at KFC drive thru.'
Life is good.drinking smiley

Posted by: gert (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2008 06:39PM

This is a great thread! And yes, the Cold KFC Heine tip is very useful. There use to be a Taco Bell with drive-through margaritas as well smiling smiley

Posted by: shaggy77 (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 08:44PM

As an add to the church key idea for the cooler.
Reef Sandal company makes a flip flop with a bottle opener in the soles of the flops.
Either the wife or I always have a pair on us for emergencies!!

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2008 08:48PM

I bought my husband a pair of those. he loves them and, boy, have they come in handy many times.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |