The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Favorite Boardwalk Restaurants
Posted by: gert (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2008 12:30PM

Thanks for all the great replies on the 'new, must do restaurants' question. Plenty to choose from! Sorry for the late response. Have been camping with the family somewhere south of Santa Cruz. Very nice, but the water is soooo cold compared to the Caribbean... sad smiley

We also like to hang out on the boardwalk in Philipsburg. The kids can just run around while we enjoy our drinks. Is Kan Kan Trie still there, serving Surinamese food? Any other favorites to have lunch or dinner?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite Boardwalk Restaurants
Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: June 03, 2008 12:46PM

We enjoyed really good jerk chicken at Pirates in Paradise. Yummy! I think better than Greenhouse, which I also liked.

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 03, 2008 01:49PM

I always enjoy Pasanggrahan for some drinks along the boardwalk.

peace smiling smiley

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.49.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: June 03, 2008 02:35PM

Well last week we went for dinner with Barbara and Dee at Antoine and it was great! Amazingly, it was the first time in my life I was going there, and I was very pleased by everything I had and the ambiance... The ambiance I said?... How could it be wrong when you share some time with Barbara hot smileysmileys with beersmiling bouncing smiley>grinning smiley<

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Pat MaddenPmaddenil@aol.com (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 03, 2008 04:47PM

Knowing the job Phillipe has done at Capt. Olivers,it says something that he thinks well of the competition.We have been to Antoines several times in recent years and think it is one of the best,cerainly on the Dutch side

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 03, 2008 04:58PM

Philippe,

We always enjoy ourselves at Antoines and have since we first discovered it in the late 70's or very early 80's. The present owner, Jean Pierre (un Pierre) was the head-waiter (and often in those days the only waiter...) for the Captain and Madame who owned the restaurant back then. It's been one of our island favorites ever since and I'm a little surprised this was a first visit for you but only because it's such an institution over all these years.

On our most recent trip March past, Pierre the chef/owner (deux Pierre) made me a special lemon souffle` for my birthday and petit Pierre (trois Pierre) served me a lovely wine whose name I immediately forgot but in celebration of my birthday aussi. So because of the three Pierres we privately refer to Antoines now as Les Trois Pierres.

And by the way, I chuckled at your note to Elaine and your critique of your use of English. And I guess you can see why I chuckled considering what you see is about all the French I know, and I know I didn't even get much of that right.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: double-D (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: June 04, 2008 08:15AM

Elaine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We enjoyed really good jerk chicken at Pirates in
> Paradise. Yummy! I think better than Greenhouse,
> which I also liked.

Elaine....
Pam and I hang out there(they leave Pam a Ta-kill-ya out for our morning walk!)
Great food,great people!!....But then again...what would you expect!!
Dan

Posted by: KealaSxm (---.56-172.caribserve.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 06:41PM

I can't recall when you mentioned you were last here - but the Holland House was renovated and they did a terrific job. It would be a really elegant place to sit and have a cocktail or a soda while keeping an eye on the kids playing on the Broadwalk. (get there early evening to get a seat right at the front on the terrace). The barman does great mojitos. We really enjoyed the dinner we had there - but the restaurant is more suited to adults imo.

Greenhouse has something for everyone. I love their black bean soup, and their Johnny Cakes are excellent. Steak is always good. More suitable for the kids at lunchtime or early evening. You can sit outside and people-watch.

Oualichi in the middle of the Broadwalk has good pizza.

I haven't eaten there for ages - but Pashanghran has very reasonably priced lunches & a lovely atmosphere, ideal for the kids too.

Keala

Posted by: gert (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2008 06:51PM

Thanks for all the responses.

Have to try Antoine's then!

Yes, I have been at the 'new' Holland House. The outside terrace is indeed very nice. Thought they served more appetizers then real meals, but I guess I am mistaken. Did have the 'Nieuwe Haring" (newly caught herring, the Dutch sushi, since it is eaten 'raw') there last time. Flown in direct from Holland with KLM. Don't have that here in the States.

The Pirates place sound like my kids will like!

Posted by: KealaSxm (---.56-172.caribserve.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 07:38PM

Hi Gert - the restaurant at the Holland house is beside the terrace, down steps - it's separate.

I will have to try that Dutch herring!

Keala

Posted by: SXMNorm (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 09, 2008 07:57PM

This past February, while staying at Sea Palace, we enjoyed three lunches at a small bar/restaurant with no name. Patrick and Jose were the two brothers that owned the place. One wanted to call it Caribbean Blend, the other wanted it named ____(can't remember)on the Boardwalk. In any case, it's located on the Boardwalk where the little path leads up to Front Street and all the ladies have their baskets, T-Shirt, etc. tables. Suzette is the bartender.
We enjoyed the food and the serving size.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |