The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Boulangerie near Beacon Hill?
Posted by: BigMacIain (---.cpe.mountaincable.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 11:09PM

Wondering if there's anywhere where I can pick up fresh croissants and pain raisin for breakfast while the sleepyheads in my party are still snoring. Would I have to drive up to Maginot to find this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Boulangerie near Beacon Hill?
Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 12:26AM

No,you won't have to drive over to Marigot. If you are up early before the morning rush hour traffic you can get to Simpson Bay in 5-7 minutes no problem. There are several boulangeries in the area.

However, with your interest in fresh baked goodies, wine, cheese, etc., you may enjoy a morning in Marigot once in awhile for your fresh baguettes, croissants, etc just to experience more of the French ambiance.

peace smiling smiley

Date: June 05, 2008 10:15AM

Thanks, Andrea. It looks like my villa is at the eastern end of Burgeaux Bay. Can I walk to Simpson Bay? How long might that take?

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.60-57.caribserve.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 10:30AM

You can walk on the beach of simpson Bay from Beacon hill. You have a set of steps going down on Simpson Beach on the western cliff of Beacon Hill, and it will take you about 15 nice minutes of walk on one of the most beautifull island beach. Then you cut through toward a small street between the two first Big building, follow the road and you arrive just next to the building of the windward Island Bank and the Cafe Atlantico Bakery. 20 minuts for all to that point.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 11:24AM

Now that sounds like a wonderful morning walk for some delicious fresh baked goodies. The sleepyheads will certainly appreciate the effort as long as the pastries are not eaten en route back to the house.grinning smiley

Date: June 05, 2008 11:31AM

Also, if you have Google Earth installed on your computer, I may be able to forward you the aerial photo of SXM that you will be staying. It's a very detailed image of the area, beach, and the walkway that Philippe recommended.

Date: June 05, 2008 11:34AM

The only thing is that I'm likely to take my camera on the walk and that 40 minutes might turn into 2 hours! Oh, well, I'll risk it.

Date: June 05, 2008 11:36AM

John, I do have Google Earth. That would be great. Thank you! (Maybe I might be able to spot my villa!)

Date: June 05, 2008 11:38AM

Phillipe, merci beaucoup pour l'information.

My French is very rusty but I'm practicing. This trip is going to bring back memories of camping trips in France, with a subtle difference.

Date: June 05, 2008 11:46AM

2 choices...
If you e-mail me your e-mail address to:

reikiofmaywood@verizon.net I'll e-mail you directly from Google Earth... or else try this:

18°02'12.54"N
63°07'00.95"W

Good luck!

Posted by: rmart2 (---.belvoir.army.mil)
Date: June 05, 2008 11:58AM

The only thing is that I'm likely to take my camera on the walk and that 40 minutes might turn into 2 hours

I once went walking to get some bread and after many refreshments returned empty handed about 4 hours later. And this was before happy hour started.

Date: June 05, 2008 12:05PM

LMAO!!!

Date: June 05, 2008 12:06PM

I think I'm going to have a good time.

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.53.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 12:19PM

Hey!

Possibly you will be seduced into stopping at Sunset Beach Bar on your jaunts. Free wi-fi and other diversions. ON the opposite end of the beach is the "Boat Bar or $2.00 bar as it is sometimes called. Stop there for great plane shooting as well.

The majority of "over the beach" plane shots on the approach to runway 09 are snapped from SSBB.

Five years later, and a lot of trips, I find it hard to pull back from the photo ops and get on with the day. Renting 2 cars has helped on at least one trip but that gets pricey.

Yes, you will enjoy the Beacon Hill location. BTW, a small Chinese Restaurant in the CARAVANSERAI complex near SSBB and BLISS has the best Won Ton soup we have tried on Island and their beer is $2.00 ice cold. Food is inexpensive.

You have chosen an ideal launchi site for Dutch side adventures!

BIGDEN

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 12:59PM

Philippe is right, you CAN walk to Simpson Bay by cutting through the Beacon Hill area and taking the steps down to Simpson Bay beach. However, two things you may want to consider. There was some construction in that area of the steps in Beacon Hill and I am not quite sure you could still access them. Secondly, there are quite a few dogs at the beginning of Simpson Bay beach that could cause you some concern being a "stranger" walking along the beach. I have walked in that area before with my sister and she was a bit frightened by the dogs. It also is a bit of a walk to Simpson Bay..... bring water!

Ok, so now you need a camera, water, a stick to keep the dogs away.... You might want to pack a backpack! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

FYI - Maho and Food Express is not more than a quick 10 minute walk down the roadside.

peace smiling smiley

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |