The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Mosquitoes?
Posted by: BigMacIain (---.cpe.mountaincable.net)
Date: June 06, 2008 05:05PM

One of the reasons my friends like having me around is that I'm a mosquito magnet. As long as I'm there, no one else gets bitten.

So... what's the mozzie situation on SXM? Should I be showering in DEET?

As always, thanks in advance for any advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mosquitoes?
Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.60-57.caribserve.net)
Date: June 06, 2008 05:17PM

This I can't answer, because my skin is so sun-tanned that they don't bit me and I even don't know if they exist ... No kidding grinning smileyeye rolling smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: liz (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: June 06, 2008 07:56PM

yep, they are bad ... DEET is a must

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2008 07:57PM

I would recommend that you bring some spray and lather up. They do sell something called Mosquito Milk on the island so that's worth investing in as well. I have heard that works really well. They also sell repellant so if you forget, don't worry...you can buy it in any grocery store.

The early mornings and sunsets are the worst times for no-see-ums. I rarely get bit but when I do, it's at those times. Also, many of the restaurants on the island are open air so if you sit close to foliage, you are bound to be their main course during these times. When lying on a beach, try to keep your chair away from any foliage. You should then be fine. I'm only saying this because you state that you are a bug magnet. Before you leave to go out at night, give yourself a quick spray...especially on the legs. Also, keep a small spray bottle in your beach bag just in case you feel them starting.

Of course the rainier the day, the worse they may be afterwards but if you are getting a nice breeze during the day or evening, that will be a very positive thing for you. That's one of the reasons why we like going in December..this is when the breezes start to cross the island.

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2008 09:55PM

Best to spend your day at a windy beach so THEY can't land on you. At night I always wear pants to prevent THEM from landing on my legs.Last Feb I saw the on the French side trucks spraying chemicals to kill THEM.good luck

Posted by: kat (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 07, 2008 10:02PM

www.webmd.com/a-toz-guides/dengue-fever-shc

Hope the link about dengue fever works. The St. Martin "epidemic" may be over, according to the Daily Herald, but if there's even one of the little buggers out there left still carrying the virus, then you've GOT to protect yourself! The CDC has some good info on the repellent and DEET strength necessary. And worrying about the nights (as mentioned by the previous poster) isn't practical advice. The mosquitos carrying the disease bite during the DAY.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |