- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Can I bring in steaks?
Posted by: Mike (---.netnet.net)
Date: April 17, 2002 10:38AM

Arriving next week and would like to bring some steaks and cheese along which will be vaccum packed--will I have a problem at customs?--i will send items in a cooler as a check through item on American Airlines--

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I bring in steaks?
Posted by: Dr Doug (---.unh.edu)
Date: April 17, 2002 10:56AM

Mike,

Why would you even consider bringing in cheese to SXM? Bring some money and go to a store and buy some fine Dutch and French cheeses. Buy extra and take it home with you. Try the Dutch and French butters as well.

As to steaks, to each his own. You'll have no problems at customs. You can buy steaks as well. You'll probably find that eating local specialities is better, you can always have a steak at home. Try something you've never heard of or cannot cook.

Enjoy SXM what you decide to do.

Posted by: kim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 17, 2002 10:57AM

Why cheese???? The island has one of the best selections of cheese ever. Is it special cheese?? We have brought steaks in the past without a problem, the problem is if you try to leave with meat.

Posted by: Jack (---.network.harvard.net)
Date: April 17, 2002 10:58AM

For years we have brought our own meat down with no problems. One word of caution, however, do NOT pack the meat in dry ice. The airline will not accept it. You will also have to sign a waiver at the AA ticket counter when you check the cooler relieving AA of any responsibility for spoilage. Why would you want to bring cheeses along when some of the finest Dutch cheese in the world will be available on the island at rock-bottom prices.

Cheese stays home!
Posted by: Mike (---.netnet.net)
Date: April 17, 2002 11:33AM

Sorry about the cheese idea--I did not realize that you have a great selection there--I will leave the cheese at home--thanks for the great response to all!

Re: Cheese stays home!
Posted by: Enzo La rosa (---.libre.retevision.es)
Date: April 17, 2002 12:57PM

I would not bother to bring the meat either.

You can go to any Wholesaler and buy excellent USDA beef, brands
such IBP, and other ones that I do not remember now.

You could have all sorts of meat in SXM, and very good quality too.

Posted by: dansxmerinny (---.chase.com)
Date: April 17, 2002 03:25PM

It all depends on where you are flying from if you are flying from a place where you have mulitiple stopovers it would not be a good idea to bring meat because the chance for delays are greater. But if you are flying from a place like the New York area where there is a direct flight or maybe one stop there should be no problem carrying meat. I do it all the time because the meat you get in the states in my opinion is of a better quality and has a better taste.

Posted by: Scott (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 18, 2002 12:29AM

I would have to disagree with dansxmerinny, on one part if I'm reading that correctly. I feel we here in the U.S. do have quality meat, mainly from the midwest but better taste? The main reason we fly to the island is the food, and dinning out. I have never been so impressed in my life, and I have dined at very good restrants thoughout the U.S.

Posted by: Barbara1 (66.231.170.---)
Date: April 18, 2002 11:29AM

I agree with Enzo. and he is a restauranteur so he should know. I have never had any trouble getting excellent steak on the island
save yourself the hassle!
enjoy!

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 18, 2002 05:27PM

Depending where you are flying from (length of flight).... you can pack frozen meats (just before you leave) in a soft sided cooler with some frozen gel packs into your suitcase and it will make it to sxm just fine.

We fly ORD-MIA-SXM and everything is still frozen upon arrival.

And, yes, you have already heard the cheese thing - smiling smiley Try the Gouda, it's VERY gooda!

peace
smiling smiley

Re:don't forget the Pepsi
Posted by: Ray Mann (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: April 18, 2002 10:11PM

Mike,
why do you want to schlepp all that meat to SXM? a lot of the beef comes from the States and is USDA choice etc. now if you can't do w/o your daily Pepsi, you might want to bring a case. it's been tough to find on SXM lately.
enjoy,
Ray Mann
[www.rays-sxm.net]

Re:are you all wright
Posted by: BIG al (---.isus.emc.com)
Date: April 19, 2002 02:45PM

Why would you carry all that meat to sxm.
sxm has the best food of any island I have ever been to.
The cheese is the best with some French bread!
Try the Food!

BIG al

Re:are you all wright
Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 19, 2002 06:00PM

Hi, Mike,

I guess by now you've gotten the idea that the food on the island is absolutely available and very good by any standards. It's not a problem to find almost anything these days and the quality is right up there w/what you're used to at home and in many cases, possibly better.

That being said, if there's something you absolutely don't want to try to replicate, feel free to bring it with you in a soft-sided cooler, either as a carry-on or shipped as luggage. We did it for years w/o a problem but we always did a non-stop flight. Food was still frozen solid when we got there and we never had any difficulty with American Airlines or with bringing it in to the island.

Do yourself a big favor and try some (any) of the restaurants on the island. What these people do to food is almost obscene it is sooooooooo good.

Good restaurants
Posted by: MK (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2008 04:30PM

Its been a couple of years since we have been in SXM
we need some restaurant recommendations
we are a family of 4 staying on Simpson Bay side
thanks
MK

Posted by: red (---.msn.com)
Date: February 08, 2008 06:55PM

NO steaks allowed thru customs. food too good in sxm to bring any with you, and dont pack many clothes. carry on ok.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |