The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Travelling solo...
Posted by: Sarah (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2007 11:21PM

Hi all:

Am making my first trip to St. Martin in May all by myself. Any advice to the independent female traveller? Also, should I tip maid service for the week at the being of my stay (similar to Mexico--my last beach vacation) and what would be the recommended percentage? Any help is greatly appreciated smiling smiley

Sarah

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travelling solo...
Posted by: Gilda (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2007 03:59PM

Sarah,
Traveling solo will be fine, just take the same precautions you would anywhere else. I've traveled there many times alone. You'll meet many friendly vacationers, as well as locals, there's always someone to have a drink with, go to dinner with, etc. Go, enjoy yourself I'm certain you'll make many new friends. I'm there May 19-June2, when are you there?

Posted by: gsnider (63.134.144.---)
Date: April 26, 2007 03:49PM

Sarah
Going solo myself in May. I usually tip the maids about 5 dollars a day and it's placed in a pool for all of them to split.

Posted by: gsnider (63.134.144.---)
Date: April 26, 2007 04:06PM

Sarah
Going solo myself in May. The maids usually pool the tips and 5 to 10 dollars a day is a normal tip.

Posted by: manuelrodriguez (203.177.215.---)
Date: May 22, 2007 02:16AM

how cool being alone in travel? I love the story of yours, I'll wait for more story bwt u...

Posted by: chris11 (---.pld.com)
Date: October 27, 2007 11:29PM

we will be there in January 5-12...
Chris and Tammy

Posted by: JHR (---.eot.com)
Date: October 29, 2007 02:27PM

Two men assaulted,
robbed on the road

PHILIPSBURG--Two men were robbed Saturday, October 27, in two separate incidents by a group of armed men. According to police, it is too early to say whether the robberies were committed by the same group of persons, but spokesman Police Inspector Ricardo Henson said there were similarities between the two cases.

A man with the initials R.H. was robbed at gunpoint Saturday at approximately 1:30am on Tomato Road in South Reward.

The man told the police he had been driving in the vicinity of Milton Peters College when his car with license plate M-465 was hit from behind by a small car with French license plates. Not trusting the situation, R.H. did not stop his car. While driving towards his home he noticed that he was being followed.

When he stepped out of his car, he was approached by four to six armed men, each carrying a shotgun. His attackers threatened him with bodily harm if he did not cooperate. They took the keys to his home and place of business, and stole the gold chain from his neck.

The suspects then left scene and took the victim’s car along with them.

In a similar incident which occurred Saturday at approximately 4:00am, a man with initials B.L.B., who was visiting the island, came to the Police Station in Philipsburg to report that he had been robbed by armed men.

He stated that while driving in his rental car on New Oyster Pond Road in the direction of Oyster Bay Beach Resort, his car was suddenly hit from behind by a small white car carrying French license plates.

When he stopped his car to check the damage, he was unexpectedly attacked by at least four masked and armed men. Two of the robbers used physical force against him and threatened to use their weapons. He was then robbed of his wallet, gold chain and cellular phone.

“At this time in the investigation, it is still too early to determine whether these cases were committed by the same group of persons,” Henson said.

Anyone having information in connection with these cases can call the police station at 542-2222.

WELCOME TO ST MARTIN!!!!

Will this be in the travel magazines and brochures?

Posted by: SXMaholic (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 29, 2007 05:05PM

And what will the police do? Even if you do find them... Nothing!

Posted by: flowers (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2007 10:03AM

Oh good, and this goes on and on.. This will be the demise of the Island.
Most people have to jail themselves these days...

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |