English Harbour #036
English Harbour, Antigua - 5 bedroom villa
Elegant, historical villa rental located at English Harbour, it enjoys stunning views over Falmouth Harbour. Pigeon beach is situated at few minute away from the villa.
The villa is set on 1.5 acres of harbor side promontory and it is built upon a 200 years old cannon platform which was constructed by the Royal Artillery Engineers to take advantage of the sweeping 270 degrees field of fire across Falmouth Harbour. The stone base forms the ground floor of the Great House which has been rebuilt in the style of a 200 year old Georgian maritime residence with wooden shingle roof set with dormer windows and balconies. The signal tower has been rebuilt as an observation post; the powder magazine now stores sun loungers instead of cannon shot and the stables have been replaced with a spacious self-contained Guest Cottage.
The villa is extremely elegant, modern and antique designs fuse together creating a style that it is unique and intense – all accompanied with a dramatic setting of incredible views over one of the most beautiful area of the island of Antigua. All the villa's views offer you maritime panoramas in the winter months, since vessels are decked in the marinas of English Harbour and Falmouth Harbour. The villa enjoys constantly a gentle, cool sea breeze.
The property comprises of an outstanding three bedrooms Great House and a magnificent two bedrooms self-contained Guest Cottage, accommodating comfortably 10 guests – The Great House can be rented individually leaving the Guest Cottage unoccupied ensuring your privacy and seclusion.
The property includes:
- Location: English Harbour
- Pool: yes
- All bedrooms of this Caribbean holiday retreat are sophisticated; their furnishing is elegant. All bedrooms have private bathroom, ceiling fan and A/C, with own veranda and / or balcony.
GREAT HOUSE – Two bedrooms are located on the main level of the villa, while the master bedroom is located on the above floor.
Bedroom 1 – Main Level - King Size bed or two single beds, bathroom with shower and double vanities, wardrobe, A/C, ceiling fan, own veranda, harbor and sea views.
Bedroom 2 – Main Level - King Size bed or two single beds, bathroom with shower and double vanities, walk-in wardrobe, A/C, ceiling fan, own veranda, sea & garden views.
Bedroom 3 – Master Bedroom, top level - King Size bed, bathroom with shower and double vanities, wardrobe, A/C, ceiling fan, own balconies, wall-mounted HD TV, harbor / sea views and garden views.
GUEST HOUSE - Located on one side of the Great House. The house is self-contained with kitchen, living and dining room, outdoor veranda, and garden.
Bedroom 4 – King Size bed, bathroom with shower, wardrobe, A/C, ceiling fan, garden views
Bedroom 5 – Queen Size bed, bathroom with shower, wardrobe, A/C, ceiling fan, garden views
- Great House
- Few stairs from the ground takes you on this extraordinary home. The Great Room is set on a spacious area comprising the living room, kitchen and dining room. The living room has sofa sets, armchairs, coffee tables, a wall-mounted HD flat screen television with bose sound system and Dvds player. The kitchen is set in an angle of the room and is equipped with professional grade appliances such as stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, wine cooler and other small appliances and utensils, a comfortable dining table is also in the room. The Great Room opens up to the magnificent veranda, on one side you are on the covered BBQ area and the outdoor dining area, on the other side you are on a long veranda that surrounds part of property furnished with table, sofas, armchairs – The views of Falmouth Harbour are incredible from here. Two bedrooms are located on the same floor of the Great Room, the third bedroom is located on the top floor. The house has also a game room with table games and a HD Television mounted on the wall and sofa sets, on the lower level.
- The lovely Guest House includes two bedrooms with private bathroom, fully equipped kitchen, dining room and living room with flat screen TV, outdoor veranda and garden.
- Pool, Pool Area, Cabana, Lounge Areas
- The oversize pool is placed on a tiled floor, surrounded by lounge chairs to bask under the Caribbean Sun. The pool is ideal for guests who loves to swim. Nearby there is the Cabana for relaxation in the shade on sofas and the hammock.
- Enjoy a relaxing massage in the comfort of your private room. Beautician who offers a variety of services is also available. Our concierge can book these services at the villa for you, early booking is required.
Power: Both 110V and 220V 60 Hz are available, as well as European standard electrical sockets.
Three or Five bedrooms – Max 10 Guests
Housekeeper service / Ground keeper and pool maintenance
Private swimming pool, lounge chairs, Outdoor dining area with BBQ
All utilities, local telephone calls and Wi-Fi Internet incl.
Laundry room with washer and dryer
A/C in all the bedrooms
Villa information may change without notice and should be confirmed with our villa rental specialists.
- Nearest Beaches:
The closest beaches to the villa are Pigeon Point and Galleon Beach. Pigeon Point is located at a short walk distance. The beach is lovely, with calm water. It houses the famous Catherine's Café Plage Restaurant and the Bumpkins Beach Bar and Restaurant. Galleon Beach is at about 10 minute drive from the villa. The beach is also nice with calm water located at Freeman's Bay, at the heart of the National Park. It is a good spot to snorkel since there is a reef of 75ft. A short hike to the left of the bay will take you to the Pillars of Hercules, a natural geological rock formations carved by wind, rain and the sea. On the beach there is a characteristic restaurant that serves hamburgers and sandwiches. Rendezvous Beach is at about 15 minute drive and it is considered one of the most beautiful, unspoiled beaches on island. As the road that leads to it is undeveloped, it is often deserted and a 4x4 vehicle is necessary to go there.
- More general area info on nearby sights, restaurants, nightlife, etc. below.
Weekly rates 2 bedr. 3 bedr. 5 bedr. May 21 - August 31: $ 7,000 $14,000 $21,000 November 1 - May 20: $11,200 $16,800 $28,000 Peak Season*: $ inq. $ inq. $ inq. 2 bedr. = Guest House 3 bedr. = Great House 5 bedr. = Great House + Guest House *Peak Season: Christmas, New Year, All Sailing Events Sailing Events: Charter Boat Show - 3-11 December 2017 Rorc 600 - 17-25 February 2018 Classic Week 17-27 April 2018 Sailing Week - 28Th April To 6Th May 2018Villa Location:
- About English Harbour
- English Harbour, a natural harbour and historical settlement on the southern tip of the island of Antigua, is a major boating centre, especially adapted to yachting. There are two sheltered deep-water harbours nearby: English Harbour itself and Falmouth Harbour. English Harbour is best known for Nelson’s Dockyard, a UNESCO World Heritage site, where Admiral Horatio Nelson found natural protection for his fleet. This former British Navy base is now considered to be the only working Georgian dockyard in the world. English Harbour is a major sailing hub of the Caribbean, with many world-renowned regattas taking place here every year. The most active period for the Harbour is November to May annually when those with a passion for yachting or sailing have the chance to participate in any one of the island’s events, including the following:
• Antigua Charter Yacht Show: early December
• Superyacht Challenge: late January /early February
• R.O.R.C. 600 Caribbean: mid February
• Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta: April
• Antigua Sailing Week: late April/early May.
- Nearest Restaurants and Night LIfe
- When the sun has set and the stars begin to shine, the curtain can rise on the evening’s entertainment, especially during the winter months when the island is at its busiest.
Above the harbour, at Shirley Heights, are the partially restored fortifications of the harbour's colonial observation post. The view from Shirley Heights extends out over the harbour and far across the Caribbean to Montserrat and Guadeloupe. Everyone heads here on Sundays. The party begins as the sun sets and the steel band sound fills the air, followed by the exciting energy of reggae and soca live music. Barbequed food is available to soak up some of those rum punches. The steel band also plays on Thursday nights from 4pm. Shirley Heights can be reached via Lookout Trail, a nature walk that departs from Galleon Beach through a forest of trees. Descending the trail is not advisable after dark or barbecue revelry.
Catherine’s Café, located on Pigeon Beach (one of the most fabulous beaches in Antigua) has always been a favourite lunch destination for ‘those in the know’ looking to enjoy great French cuisine and fine wines in good company. Catherine’s is also open Wednesday and Friday evenings.
Pillars, one of The Admiral’s Inn restaurants, is located in the history-seeped Nelson’s Dockyard. The waterfront setting is traditional and has a view of the Powder Magazine and Pillars’ sister restaurant Boom, easily accessed by boat service between the two. Both restaurants offer laid-back quality lunch and dinner fares.
Cloggy’ s, located upstairs at the Marina, has a great yacht club atmosphere and a great view of the sailing and motor yachts anchored in the Marina. Generous portions, dieters beware. The bar scene is very lively.
Abracadabra, in English Harbour, transforms from an elegant Italian restaurant in the early evening to a pulsating outdoor nightclub later on. A variety of DJs lead the crowd to dance under the stars. This is a busy bar during the winter with fair priced drinks and friendly staff. Occasional live performances by worldwide known artists are the cherry on the cake.
South Point, located in Falmouth Harbour, takes its inspiration from Asian, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine. South Point’s restaurant offers an eclectic mix of authentic flavours. In keeping with its cosmopolitan character, the South Point dining experience is the perfect combination of international taste and local flavour. There is also a sushi bar.
Sun Ra, as seen from the road side, is an unassuming Caribbean wooden house set in a pretty garden lit up by dancing lights in the trees. Once you head through the wooden gate, and as you round the corner onto the gallery your senses are sent into overload: aromas of fresh cooked food from the kitchen, the warm and calming effect created by the lighting and the stunning views of the harbour on which the restaurant is located.
Rum Baba is a busy Mediterranean Bistro situated in a prime position on the main road through English Harbour and directly opposite Falmouth Harbour Marina with all of its superyachts. This place run by an Italian woman, and a French chef serves lunch and dinner in a pretty, relaxed atmosphere.
Famous Mauro is located just past Cobb’s Cross junction. Mauro is a skilful Sardinian pizzaiolo. His restaurant has a simple open-air terrace; the pizzas are perfectly cooked in a wood oven, and the atmosphere is relaxed.
- About English Harbour